Year End or New Year Community Survey

(Angelo Luciani) #1

I’m considering putting together a community survey in January. The purpose is to poll the community and find out directly from them, what we could do better, where they found value, what they would like to see more off, etc.

Has anyone done something like this in the past? Is this a good idea? I am also considering throwing in a free conference pass to our annual user conference.

Thoughts or examples of effective questions I can use?

Thanks

(Nikoletta Harrold) #2

I would be careful with the following:

• keep to a focused area of improvement (ie: content, engagement programs, gamification etc) if your survey is too broad you will get too many answers on which you can not possibly execute.

• As much as we want to get written answers, try and strike a good balance between pre-defined answers to choose from (for good statistical and quantitative analysis) and fewer open ended questions for interpretation. Mainly because you will find more people will answer if they have to click a button rather than think of an answer themselves.

We have once tackled this “surveying” idea by actually running an Ask Me Anything with our content writers. They wanted direct feedback from the community, what they liked, disliked, wanted more off or just simply never wanted to see again. It was super successful and helped our customers feel empowered.

(Angelo Luciani) #3

Thanks for the feedback @Nikoletta_Harrold - great advice!

(Shreyas) #4

It’s definitely a good idea! There’s a lot that goes into online surveys (that took me a while to understand). These resources might be valuable while designing a survey-

Framing the questions plays a really important role in designing surveys. We had incentivized this by sending our members gift vouchers (for those who had entered their name and email id, which was optional). However, it’s also important to note that if it’s a survey designed to understand what’s not working in the community, it might not be a good idea to incentivise that because people might want to give anonymous feedback. If you’re tracking email clicks, then it might be good idea to do A-B testing to see if the people who are clicking on the survey are actually taking them.
Initially, our surveys had a 50-50 split for writing vs choosing, but we figured that the response rate was higher when the choosing vs writing was 80-20. Try to send the survey internally (staffs?) before sending it out to the larger community. One of the most common unintentional mistakes that we make while designing surveys is using leading questions. If the survey is designed around how you can improve the community, you could also include a section where members can put their Name+Email if they are interested in helping out so that you could reach out to them later.

(Kathleen Ulrich) #5

Do you know what your typical response rate is? I think that helps you think about how valuable a year end survey would be.

My earliest members provided a lot of suggestions. I took the suggestions that were doable and put them into a Kano Survey. The responses I got help me set a strategy that stayed in place for the next couple of years.

This year I sent out a survey to a small set of members and allowed for written responses. I also made most of the questions optional so the members only answered questions they were interested in answering. I got some valuable information from an active subset. It motivates me. I also asked if i could use any of their responses as testimonials and credit them by name. Most respondents provided something and I love this as a way to document the member experience and member benefits.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

@JoeNarusis – do you have advice?