XenForo 2.0 now in beta and ready to develop for

(Gear Buzz) #1

The main benefit of this long awaited update is that the creators of XenForo felt it should be simplified / made easier to customise.

The V2.0 beta is finally out

We have been waiting for this moment and I think in 2017 we will start the long process of replicating our most vital VBULLETIN customisations (we have a lot of them) in XF 2.0 format as part of our future platform migration from VB 3.8 to XenForo.

Meanwhile the XF add on community will be busying itself with updating existing XF plug ins to work with XF 2.0

Interesting times IMHO.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

It’s here for anyone that is interested in taking a look.

(Gear Buzz) #3

BTW

The CSS protocol introduced in XenForo v 2.0 is called “Less” anyone here familiar with it?

It’s supposed to make tweaking easier.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I am. Here is a really comprehensive intro article to LESS.
I have other resources if you’re interested.

(Gear Buzz) #5

Many thanks!

Are you a fan of it?

(Gear Buzz) #6

Actually the developer beta for XF 2.0 isn’t quite out yet.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

It’s been many years since I had anything to do with it. At the time though, yes – it was a huge timesaver.

(Gear Buzz) #8

OK it’s official the developer beta is out.

The rest of this year will be about moving from VBulletin over to it.

It’s going to be a contentious issue for people on XenForo 1.xx versions as all add ons will need to be re written to run on the 2.x versions.

My hope is that by the time we have our ducks in a row to migrate over (winter this year or early 2018?) 3rd party XF add on developers will have upgraded all their “must have” / popular add ons for v2.x

It will be interesting to watch forums on XF v1.0. Many will want to stick on it for an easy life but the XenForo developers are very pro active and I suspect new and cool functionality will likely only be added to The 2.0 version and folks remaining behind on the old version will start to miss out and gradually the movement to v2.x will pick up pace.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

My biggest complaint with vB was always the difficulty in upgrading. Things always broke/needed to be rewritten so we ended up stuck on v3.x because upgrading was an insurmountable task.

This sounds similarly concerning.

(Gear Buzz) #10

The XF platform developers are ex VBulletin engineers - so they will be keen not to repeat mistakes made by VB.