Why aren't you asking members to advocate for you?

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

Hey everyone,

One of the chapters of the book covers advocacy, this is your community members recommending your organization to others through creating reviews, testimonials, case studies, sharing content on social media etc…

One of the people I interviewed mentioned they were shocked that everyone who had a community wasn’t asking their top members to advocate for them.

I’m curious, why is that?

Why aren’t you asking your members to advocate for you? What’s holding you back or stopping you?

(Luis Villa) #2

I admit I’ve been challenged here in the past - I’m a strong advocate for building communities that are more than feel-good, and create real value, but this has always felt like a bridge too far. Thanks for trying to persuade me that I’ve been wrong :slight_smile:

(Piper_Wilson) #3

I’m confused about what this looks like. Rich, what do you ask for? I ask because I’m familiar with Feverbee.

(Efuet Atem) #4

In our case, several reasons can account for the fact that we are not asking members to advocate for us, at least until now (we already did that a couple of times though, I must say :wink:) :

1. Digital word-to-mouth as I call it should be spontaneous: I just have the impression that if our community is good enough, our users will share and talk about it. I guess this is not completely true!

2. Disturbance of the user (this is directly related to rejection too, I think): At times am like: “why should I disturb this or that user? what if she refuses? (I know what you will say, "what if she accepts? :grinning:)

3. Sustainability of such an action: Should it be something punctual? regular? what are the resources necessary? etc…

That’s all I can think of for now, hope that helps!

(Richard Millington) #5

This was great, thanks for this @efuet_atem, I really appreciate it. It’s actually exactly what I’ve been hearing elsewhere too.

(Jad Bennani) #6

Regularly in touch my top members (as friends about our lives in general) and don’t need to ask them to advocate Tramigos anymore. But the little push at the beginning was needed and kicked off our community.

What do you think @richard_millington?

(Piper_Wilson) #7

I’m still curious to know what this type of activity looks like.

(Richard Millington) #8

I’d probably distinguish between advocating for the community and community members advocating for the product and service.

That might come in the form of reviews, ratings, feedback, sharing content etc…

(Luis Villa) #9

A recent ask I saw was simply a “hey, by the way, if you have a following, please tweet that we’re doing X”. Nothing super-aggressive, but the community ran with it, self-organized a push, and the resulting social media traffic turned into a great payoff (in this case, a nice boost on Patreon).

(Richard Millington) #10

This is actually pretty close to the mark.

It’s generally the difference between enabling members to advocate for you and motivating them to do it. The techniques will vary a lot though depending upon your relationship with the audience.