Who has an Ambassador or a Super-User program?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’m researching Ambassador / Advocate / MVP / Super User programs.

Who has an established one (or belongs to one)?

(Rachael Reilly) #2

We don’t have an ambassador program at the moment @HAWK but we are building the foundations now. We have a core group of about 10 advocates and I’m trying to involve them as much as possible in what the program will look like.

What do you want to be called? What do you want that to really mean? How do you want other people to perceive you in the community? What will you bring to the community as an ‘advocate’?

I am really interested in this type of program so will be watching this thread very closely. Cheers!

(Darren Gough) #3

This would be a good one for @Nancy_Kinder when she’s back. I know she’s doing some great work in this area with Vorwerk right now.

(Lucie Pinto) #4

We have what we call “Champions.” We currently have 8 Champions. Some are more active then others. I reached out to all of them recently as I’ve taken back the Community management role. I asked them if they are all still interested.

I also created a private group where we can all chat in our community. They can ask questions, etc. I’m working on sending them out a care package with swag. I’m also going to see if we can give them a special rate to our annual conference.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Indeed – I had a call with her about it last week. :slight_smile:

@RachForShort What is the objective of the program you are building? Is there a challenge that you are trying to solve? And how established is your existing community?

@lpinto What activities or tasks do your champions undertake? How do you recruit them?

(Lucie Pinto) #6

@HAWK: The Champions are responsible for helping answer posts in the Community. Currently, we don’t have any set guidelines for this. They seem to be pretty good at chiming in. I’m going to be putting in requirements soon. I choose the Champions based on their activity and quality of posts.

We had someone that was quite active but often negative. It wasn’t until the last couple of months that he’s been a huge help. I reached out to him this week to be a Champion but haven’t received a response yet. He may feel a bit burned.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

@rebeccabraglio can likely offer better advice than me, but it might be prudent to put a fixed term on the offer in case the negativity returns. That way you won’t have an awkward situation where you have to terminate the arrangement (you can just not renew when the term is up).

(Nikoletta Harrold) #8

One of the companies I worked for in the past had a Super User Program, called Proven Professionals (tech company). What do you want to know about it?

(Darren Gough) #9

Love that term - goes a bit further than the most generic catch-all for super users.

I’m assuming these were experts in their field. How did they qualify for the title?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #10

Yes it was a very good fit. To qualify you had to be a community member who has continuously and selflessly participated in the community of your interest. These were a mix of company employees and customers using a specific series (sometimes several of them) of our product line and they were active asking questions, giving advice and just generally creating engagement on a peer to peer and expert level. Each year community managers got to nominate their most active users for consideration and an independent panel reviewed the nomination and chose who got to be part of the Proven Professional’s group. Once you were in (and your membership only gave you access for 1 year, after that the process re-started) you had access to exclusive beta testing opportunities, you got access to the product a week ahead of GA, get free training and certifications that others might not have had access to or was free when others had to pay. Often customers and partners got access to things that are usually internal benefits only, which made them feel they were part of the company and had a vested interest in the communities or the products success. We never really did any financial rewards, it was all measured in reputation, thought leadership and just being the best in the industry. PP’s got chances for public speaking, blog publications and being on the featured content or membership spotlight.

(Richard Millington) #11

My feeling is that most large companies will have some sort of super-user program.

However, it might not always be directly connected to an online community. It might be for major product users or those that score incredible highly in a customer loyalty program etc. I think the hard part is figuring out the terminology they use and then seeing what incentives / systems they use to manage it.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

Hi @Nikoletta_Harrold – Is there any public info on the internet anywhere about the program? Are you able to share the brand?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #13

Yup. I think i had the name wrong. EMC Elect was the ambassador program
https://community.emc.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-place-content?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv2%2Fspaces%2F3207

EMC proven professionals was the certification program.

(Angelo Luciani) #14

You are correct @richard_millington - we have an influencer program that is not connected to our online community. Although I do try to get those folks involved, but most don’t. I was thinking about starting an ambassador program for our community site, hopefully encourage folks who are active to stay active and help/engage with others.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Is it a brand ambassadorial program?

(Angelo Luciani) #16

You can call it that @HAWK

(Sarah Hawk) #17

Brilliant, thanks. Do you know if any data is collected to analyse the efficacy of the program?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #18

That I do not know but I can connect you with some people at EMC that might have insights if they still work there…

(Sarah Hawk) #19

That would be fantastic. Thanks for your help.

(Frank Field) #20

I started one a couple of months ago… I hand-picked a dozen or so membrers of my community and invited them to join a super-user group. All accepted. I have given them some special power in the community and asked them to help with some tasks…
Be happpy to share more.