Who do you know who has built an alliance with sales, marketing, customer support, human resources, or other departments?

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

Good morning @ALLIES

I’m currently working on the chapter looking at practical ways different engagement professionals have built relationships and gained support from different departments.

I’m looking for innovative ways that a community has been used to help different departments. What exact value does it offer? How did people go about doing it? What did you / someone you know did?

Anyone great at researching or who can share their experience would be REALLY useful here.

(Richard Millington) #2

@jillian_bejtlich any chance the CR can source any stories on this?

Also opening this up to the entire FeverBee community.

(Jillian Bejtlich) #3

Nothing comes to mind at this moment. Then again, it is sort of a Monday and I’m under-caffeinated.

I will say that we share a lot of case studies and examples on our blog, so it’s likely there’s a great example there. You’re also welcome to ask for examples in our Facebook group.

(Rebecca Braglio) #4

My experience has come from working with Merchandising department - I showed them how the community was the perfect resource for getting ideas of what products they’d want to buy. For example, we had a senior pets group - I showed them how they could go in the group and see what types of products senior pet owners were looking for, which products they had tried and were recommending, which brands they liked and did not like, etc.

I then showed Merch how by putting up a poll using images of dog halloween costumes that they were considering for the next season, and asking our members to rank their favorites, they could ensure having the right products in stock (and avoid bringing in products that wouldn’t sell).

(briankling) #5

I can talk with you about developing relationships with various product developers (software) to build an ideation space where customers can suggest new features, etc.

I’m currently working on developing relationships with product developers in manufacturing to encourage them to engage in the community, also with Field Application Engineers.

Brian

(Kathleen Ulrich) #6

Quick answer

Ask people in different departments what their ability is to answer inquiries. If they answer phone, email, replies to contact submissions, ask how they respond to inquiries that arise outside of their company contacts - i. e. media, competitors. Show how online communities can be a useful tool to respond to those inquiries. If you can find negative inquiries or responses from competitors’ communities, use them.

Real life example

This just happened yesterday, so I don’t know the final outcome. I am a consultant and one of our clients is a company mentioned in your 1st chapter, as having an early online community. At a working session including people from marketing, sales, accounting and knowledge management, a question came up. When mapping capabilities, what is the better term - responding to submissions or responding to inquiries? Submissions include all forms of contact with the company - phone and email, as well as submission forms. Then the question was - Are all submissions inquiries? – no, because complaints and compliments come in as submissions and do not necessarily require a response.

What about a capability called responding to inquiries? Well, inquiries can occur outside the company. Does the company have a capability to respond to them? One person specifically mentioned an online community that, in his words, “hates” them. That community had an inquiry - what do you hate about {client} company?

This has a ways to go, but I think that everyone in the session understands that responding to inquiries that are submitted outside the company is a capability they need to have. With the existing example of the community that hates them, I think everyone in the session sees that there is value to be derived from strengthening their own online community.