What's your base engagement level?

(Suzi Nelson) #1

I’m fairly new (~1 year) to community management, and I’m trying to understand what’s a solid base engagement level for a community. Our biggest community has about 8,000 members with a consistent 20% who are active in any given week.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

I realize engagement levels will probably vary by industry/niche/platform - what do you find is normal for your group?

(Richard Millington) #2

Hey Suzi,

Those numbers are quite impressive.

How are you classifying active? Is it people that visit or people that participate?

Our numbers are up at: https://community-analytics.com/c/feverbee/cohort/ (thanks to @Bas_van_Leeuwen).

(Suzi Nelson) #3

It’s people who participate.

Our group is product-based - only people who have purchased a membership are invited to the special community. As far as I can tell, about 50% of buyers have joined the group, but we’re working on a better way to track this number.

Membership-only communities: how it works
(Richard Millington) #4

For a paid-membership community the rates would likely be far higher than the average community.

You’re best comparing it to communities in the association space, where paid membership is also a requirement to join/participate.

@Andy_Steggles or @mlowryvt might be able to share their average rates here. I know they have a benchmark report floating around.

Maybe @KatieBapple has something too?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #5

Hey Suzy - I run a product based community as well, and we’ve been at the 25-30% engaged the last year (4 year old community). Our market saturation was about 50% (1500 members out of 3000 product users) before our recent migration. Now I’m starting over a bit!

(Suzi Nelson) #6

Thanks for sharing! What community platform are you using?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #7

@Suzi_Nelson - Sorry for delay. We migrated from GetSatisfaction to Small World Labs. It’s a platform typically for nonprofits but we adapted it to fit our needs. We’re currently paying for that in a couple ways, but I think we’ll get it all sorted in the end.