I’m working on an e-mail going out in a month or so highlight the major trends in the community space.
If you took a business/marketing degree, you’ve probably done a PEST analysis. I’m trying to craft one of these today as the basis for what topics we should focus more time on and the kind of strategy we want to be considering.
You can rest up on a PEST analysis here. Essentially it is a means of categorising trends by political, economical, sociological, and technological.
This is what I’d have so far. I’d be keen to know what it’s missing:
- Growing laws concerning privacy, trolling, and security.
- Increasing/decreasing censorship in emerging nations.
- Open internet laws
- Opening up of new countries.
- Online/mobile payments.
- Rising enterprise software cost
- Rising community manager salaries.
- Increasing use of social sciences (habits/psychology)
- Gender and sexual equality.
- Declining tolerance of abuse.
- Large scale corporate hacks.
- Increased use of automation software.
- Growth hacking.
- Decline of forums/ad-supported software.
- Rising broadband penetration in developing world.
- Increasing use of mobile platforms
- Declining tolerance
- Declining use of e-mail.
- Rising use of messaging tools
- Changing authentication software.
What other trends should we be carefully monitoring?
Some of these overlap probably a little more than they should and I’m sure this list is far from complete. So what do you think we can add to this?