What would you do, if not community?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

If community was no longer a viable job and you could do anything in the world, what would it be?

I’d love to work as a gym instructor, although 40 is probably a bit late to start! I like the idea of working in an actual ‘environment’ after so many years of working in a digital world.

(Nick Emmett) #2

Two “possibles” I guess:

I spent a long time working in Learning and Development for one of the UK’s largest insurers, so that’s a decent fall back plan to some extent.

I studied Jazz and Popular music at music college and in a parallel universe somewhere I’m a rock star, so I could always give it a try here if need be!

(Joe Velez) #3

Real estate

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Interesting choice Joe. Do you have a background in real estate?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Game development, which is what got me into community management in the first place. I continue to do it as a hobbyist, and might still do it as a full time gig in the future. Community management would still be a big part of it though :smiley:

(ForumSentinel) #6

Probably copy writing or editing of some kind.

Maybe even law enforcement support (desk jockey stuff, I’m not cut out for the street beat :smiley:

(Richard Millington) #7

I’d love to be a speechwriter.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

You already are!

(Mark Baldwin) #9

I would love to work as a criminal psychologist. I actually think a good community manager would make a good psychologist

(Suzi Nelson) #10

Probably something in marketing.

(Katherine Mancuso) #11

I might try to go back to web accessibility, or move over to social analytics. I might also consider a shift to psychology or public health, though.

(Bo McGuffee) #12

This is actually hard for me to narrow down. Pick from the following:

• Creater of online educational experiences
  • Dog trainer
  • Game creator
  • Writer (theology and fantasy)
  • Artist

(Sarah Hawk) #13

What about a creator of online learning games for dogs?

(Kath Reuben) #14

City or town planning! - i like the idea of using my experiences living and working in different cities to contribute to the building of a city’s infrastructure, sites and services. Effectively applying some of the learnings from the digital landscape to IRL.
OR…teaching kids how to grow and make their own food.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Love that idea. Very cool. Vege gardening has become popular in a huge way here in NZ in the last decade. People that don’t have space for one themselves often share a community garden. Teaching people to properly (and healthily) utilise the things they grow is smart.

(Bo McGuffee) #16

Good idea. I’ll have to think about that. I’ve already started training over Skype. I wonder if there’s a way I can create learning games and integrate them into the experience. It will add to my uniqueness.