What to leave behind for the next community manager

(Mark Williams) #1

I’ll soon be leaving the management of my current community (I’m in the market!) and I’ve got about 2 weeks left to write down everything in my head for the next person. If you’ve done this before, what did you write down? If you’ve walked into a situation, what did you wish you had? Here’s what I’ve got so far:

• List of important/influential/problem members
  • List of important and useful internal contacts
  • Thoughts on the current state of things
  • Overview of projects completed in the last X time. I’m thinking X is one year, but could be longer.
  • Any unusual/quirky system issues (for one, setting a user to ‘pre-moderate’ doesn’t work right now.)
  • Recent and/or important stats

What am I missing?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

When I left here I documented all the technical processes, the things that took me ages to figure out, and where I pull all the monthly stats from.

(Richard Millington) #3

Sorry, deleted that by accident :frowning:

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I figured… :wink:

(Jason Hill) #5

No criticism from me, but I would encourage all community managers, especially those that fly solo, to have a very detailed administration guide that they constantly update. In my previous role I inherited a basket case. The CM obviously wasn’t very capable or organised, and there was a long period before I came on board where the CM chair was empty. It took a lot of work to get on top of things. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone and I’m sure we all want to ensure that our communities continue on smoothly whenever we move on, whether its a planned move to a new role or God-forbit, a sudden unexpected departure.

Anyway, to answer the question, my admin guide hopefully covers everything my successor would need to know, including community values and terminology, key support contacts, emergency scenarios, style guide, access to our testing and stage environments, all backend settings for the forum, how to complete weekly and monthly reporting, a guide to using the forum, advice for moderators, moderation challenges, community rules of participation, how to handle rule violations, and more…

(Mark Williams) #6

@JasonHill - I totally should have been doing this all along. What I realized is that I didn’t get a nice set of docs, just a random set of out of date things. I figure I could at least combine it all in a reasonable semblance of a ‘playbook’ to pass along.

Those are all good suggestions - a few I hadn’t thought of. Thank you!

(Marjorie Anderson) #7

I would also include a reporting schedule. I would include what you report, when it’s reported, and who gets what information.

(Mark Williams) #8

Good stuff - especially the target of the reporting.