What resources do you wish you had discovered sooner?

reading

(Richard Millington) #1

Hey everyone,

As more people join our community who are new to the field, I’m looking to build out our getting started section beyond just introductions.

I could use your help.

What resources would have helped you when you were first starting out?

What resources do you wish you had uncovered sooner?

What resources do you wish existed but don’t today?

Feel free to share links. I’ll probably whittle it down to a list of 10 resources or so that would help newcomers the most.

(Joel Zaslofsky) #2

I don’t read, listen, or watch the typical/popular community-building or community management resources. And besides FeverBee – which thank goodness I discovered years ago – my go-to resources tend to skew heavily towards Asset-Based Community Development.

Peter Block and John McKnight’s books and various writings have had a huge influence on the way I interact in and on the communities I belong to. Most recently, I’ve become enamored with Cormac Russell and his Nurture Development blog. Here’s a great example: The Good Life Conversation.

What I like most about Asset-Based Community Development is that it helps me ask better questions. I don’t need more solutions or problem-solvers at this point – just people and resources that ask the right questions for the right contexts.

(Richard Millington) #3

I might add an ABCD resource in there actually. I think that approach meshes well with the self-determination theory approach too. Need to find a way to make it really digestible though.

(Richard Millington) #4

Also going to add a broken down version of the psychological sense of community in there. I think that’s pretty critical.