What makes you feel comfortable/lowers the barrier to first posting?

onboarding

(Sarah Hawk) #1

If there was one key message that you’d share with new members of this community, what would it be? What makes this place valuable/important/special to you?

I’m playing around with Welcome banners because I think we could do a better job of making new people feel more comfortable, but I suspect I’ve lost my objectivity somewhat, so I’m interested in your opinions.

(Mark Baldwin) #2

It’s rare that people outside of community management “get it” , but this is the ideal place to share ideas and to ask questions because here everyone “gets it” there are no hidden agendas, just fellow professionals all trying to improve in what we love doing.

(Bo McGuffee) #3

Not sure about this being on a welcome banner, but what I would like to say is:

Welcome to the community! It’s all new for you and that makes for a wonderful opportunity. So please, stop doing anything right now. Just pay attention to how you feel. What are your hopes? What are your fears? What do you need to happen for you to finally dive into the pool? This may be how new members feel when they arrive to your community.

(Nick Emmett) #4

I think we all know that it shouldn’t matter, but getting people to understand that it actually DOESN’T matter is key. What do we want people to understand - there is a huge diversity in this group in terms of knowledge, experience, job roles, industries - it’s impossible to post something that’s anywhere near a silly question.
Everyone’s here to learn.
Everyone’s here to help.

I genuinely believe there’s not one member here that doesn’t have some level of value to add.

On a slightly different angle - although I like it aesthetically, I do think the black header is slightly overbearing and less friendly than the previous orange one.

(Nick Emmett) #5

I received the answers to a Q&A I run in my own community, with some of our leading members, the last one of which is about what advice they would give to new members to get the most put of it. Here’s what his response said, I thought it was a good indicator of what we’re talking about here:

“First of all, do not hesitate to ask any question even if it sounds so simple. Chances are there might be other people who have thought of the same issue and may have already found a solution. Secondly, try to share what you have learnt from your experience. Only by sharing and learning can we make the community a useful place for all of us.”