What makes an effective (community) team?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’ve just read this article: Six Characteristics that Make a Highly Effective Team

I was fascinated by a couple of the points (most notably the mix of introverts and extroverts).

I’ve worked in community teams in the past that didn’t get this balance right. There were too many soldiers and not enough leadership. I think this has something to do with the disproportionately high level of imposter syndrome that CMs seem to suffer from.

What characteristics do you think are required to make an effective community team?

(purldator) #2

Cannot speak for everyone, but IS plays into a large chunk of my procrastination.

I have to will myself to push forward (like, replying to you right now *grin*).

But, in the end, I do it. I always have to remind myself “you got this far; if you make a mistake, it is only a mistake; learn from it and move on”.

I agree with the article you linked.

From experience, I can state sans IS-waver that a Leader is someone who would rather be respected, than liked. I understand most respect me first, like after. And if no real “like” be there for me, then, the respect becomes a suitable alternate.

They see my dedication, drive, need for their assistance and by my actions I show them they are valued to me since I see their strengths, but also understand their shortcomings, weaknesses. We have the same goal in the end. That gives their mind reason to willingly give, show respect.

Energy and Empathy: two ingredients for a Leader.

Also… “take your work seriously and yourself not seriously”. That follows into the need for a bit of humor and humility other teammates read at a subconscious level. A Leader is an ambivalent presence: a peer one moment, and a boss the other…then back to peer. And maybe even an apprentice, when he (aye, me) admits he has no idea what this is thing is and “can you explain this to me so I can understand? I want to see it as you do”.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

And for that you have my respect.

[quote=“purldator, post:2, topic:2320”]
“you got this far; if you make a mistake, it is only a mistake; learn from it and move on”.
[/quote] Right. I believe it’s a strength of character, not a weakness, to make mistakes, because it means you had the courage to try something new. I also think that making mistakes, laughing them off, and allowing others the opportunity to learn from them is a powerful leadership skill.

(Gear Buzz) #4

A group of people with different yet complimentary skill sets and understanding.

(Lisa Craig) #5

It takes cooperation and collaboration skills to make a great community team – any team for that matter. Team members that interact with the community need to be high energy, positive, people that are willing to try new things to work on engagement. Community teams need to be good at developing relationships since that is what they have to do in essence.

(Travis King) #6

I think the article got it right Sarah. An environment of open communication and a willingness to listen goes a really long way in making a great team environment. Couple that with strong and empathetic leadership, and you have a winning mix.

And as my wife often reminds me before a team meeting “More jokes…less arguing” :smiley:

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Love it.

(Jenn Johnson) #8

Keeping in mind much/most of my work has been in private communities or practice, intranets, and extranets, my best success stories involve a combination of:

1. Program or organizational leadership, e.g, someone who has or can influence the institutional will to back the community effort. This means financially - getting it in the budget and keeping it there over time - but also, someone who will can roll up their sleeves and get involved in the community - starting and replying to discussions, communicating directly w/ members, remembering to use the community as part of their other initiatives, increasing its overall value in the org or program.
  2. Someone with content strategy knowledge / skills.
  3. Someone with community management knowledge / skills. Everything from community strategy/roadmaps to ambassador & new member programs to analysis & metrics. (And more.)
  4. Someone with UX knowledge / skills.

These can all overlap, of course, and can even all be in the same person. There are also additional skill sets that are valuable (technical, business, etc), but in my experience, this core skill set is the minimally viable team, in my experience.