What engagement KPIs matter most to you? And do you care about quality of interaction as much as quantity?

metrics
engagement

(Jen Thoroughgood) #1

Would love to hear from community management experts on the engagement KPIs that matter most and whether you care about quality of interaction as much as quantity? Thanks!

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

This will be mostly dependent on the goals of the community.

The one metric that almost always applies is Active Members, meaning members that have engaged (posted, commented, created a blog/poll etc.; but explicitly NOT only logins or likes). If that number rises, you have more people engaging with your community. It is the single best proxy I know for a healthy community.

That said, it is easy to game with things like promotions, events etc.

Apart from active members, choose metrics that are dependent on your specific business case.
If you have a support community, perhaps more posts is better since you provide more support (or maybe it is indicative that your documentation sucks…)
If it’s a CoP, you could look at number of (knowledge sharing) threads started etc.

What do you (and what does your boss) want out of the community?

So, what are you working on?
(Sarah Hawk) #3

My primary go-to metric is stickiness (DAU/MAU)

Also agree re active members. People have different definitions for what active means, but Bas and I are aligned on that.

Regarding quality over quantity – definitely quality. There has been a change towards that over the last few years when people started realising that post count means nothing if the posts are of no value. People don’t make a habit of returning somewhere daily to read lots and lots of rubbish posts. :wink:

I believe Jen is with a platform vendor and is working to refine their product.

(Jen Thoroughgood) #4

Thanks Bas. That is a useful definition of active members. I know on some platforms just signing in is enough to be considered active and I think it is good to be stricter on that. Most of our customers are in the CoP space (our platform is specifically for expertise and knowledge sharing) so we will definitely think further about what metrics make most sense for us.

(Jen Thoroughgood) #5

Good point about quality Sarah! We are totally on board with that and are thinking hard about how we help members show they appreciate the value in others’ contributions.