What do you want members to learn?

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

New week means a new book chapter.

This one tackles the concept of what we want members to learn.

Most of the value we get from communities is by getting members to learn, not participate.

Members might learn how to use products better, solve their problems, or new ideas about our industry/sectors. They might also learn the social norms - what do people like them do?

I’m looking for some examples for the @ALLIES book.

What do you want your members to learn? How have you gone about getting them to learn? What have you learned from this process?

Very open to any thoughts here.

(Kathleen Ulrich) #2

In our industry association, members collaboratively create the body of knowledge which is updated with new material a couple times per year. It’s over 700 pages now. For the past several years, we have offered knowledge dissemination webinars on a monthly basis. These are very popular, as is our video library of recorded webinars. We do a quick 3 question “quiz” to see if attendees are understanding the material. This has been very informative. One of the big things we learn from this is the maturity level of the industry in different parts of the world.

(Richard Millington) #3

thanks @Kathy that’s interesting, here’s foru things I generally have:

1. Learn the solution to a problem.

2. Learn new skills.

3. Learn new ideas / knowledge.

4. Learn social norms.

Is there any category I’m missing?

(Kelly Vo) #4

I would add:

1. Learn from other’s experience/failure

(Richard Millington) #5

Experiences is an interesting one. Just wondering if it belongs under ‘knowledge’ or not.

(Kathleen Ulrich) #6

I have tried to think of something that does not fit, at least loosely, into one of the categories and failed. Experience, collaboration, leadership, self-moderation …can all fit into the categories you’ve selected. Sticking with 4 broad categories is the right approach. Other wise the list will become too long!

(Ryan McKinney) #7

For #3 I like “new Ideas” over “knowledge”. It seems like just about anything would fall under knowledge in the context of learning, including skills, solutions etc. New ideas I think is more focused and easier to differentiate from the other categories.

(Richard Millington) #8

I think you’re right, might be easiest to forget ‘knowledge’ and be more
focused on the categories of knowledge.

I’m just trying to think of a framework that covers all the big things
people can learn without having a potentially unlimited number of items.

Knowledge management tends to have a framework like this:
https://blog.udemy.com/types-of-knowledge/. But it feels a little wordy and
doesn’t quite fit right.

I’m essentially trying to find a way to categorise everything someone could
learn in a community into 4 to 6 categories.

Open to ideas here.

(Richard Millington) #9

Ok, i’m looking at possibly 6 things people learn:

1. Skills (learning to do something better)
  2. Ideas (new ways of thinking about a topic)
  3. Experiences (learn from others)
  4. Solutions (solve problems they have)
  5. News (latest news in the topic)
  6. Social norms (what other people do / think).

I’m wondering if experiences needs its own category here.

It feels like experiences is the overarching category to all of this.

Any thoughts?

(Ryan McKinney) #10

I agree. Come to the community to learn from the experiences of others, and from those experiences you’re introduced to new skills, ideas, solutions, news, and social norms. i like it :wink:

(Janet Swisher) #11

In educational settings, the classic categorization of learning objectives is Bloom’s taxonomy. That taxonomy has been criticized for being too limited, with other models being proposed. I think the key point with respect to your question is that some like skills and ideas can be learned at a relatively low level, but learning from “experiences” requires higher-level thinking, including analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. It’s not enough to learn that “Company ABC used platform XYZ, and had experience PQR.” You have to think and understand how that experience is relevant or not relevant to your own situation.

Another interpretation of “learning from experience” has to do with “experiential learning”, that is learning by doing. That can refer to both the content of the community’s domain, and to the social skills of belonging to a community, including leadership skills.

(Richard Millington) #12

Hi @Janet_Swisher

This is awesome, thanks so much for that. I hadn’t come across that taxonomy before.

One thing I want to be careful of is to avoid making the language too technical or jargon-ey.

I also want to distinguish between the different methods of learning and what people can actually learn within a community through the act of reading, watching, and listening (I cover the participating in a different chapter).

The definition of knowledge is REALLY interesting from that Wikipedia article though, any ideas how to better categorize that into 3 to 6 groups?

This is proving the hardest chapter to write at this point.