What do you call your community (on the homepage)

(Sarah Hawk) #1

If you go to our homepage you’ll see that the menu bar item that brings you here is labelled DISCUSSIONS.

I’m not sure that is the most intuitive label. On the one hand, it’s fairly obvious that you can click it to find discussions, but does it clearly indicate that we have a community?

What do you label your community?

(rhogroupee) #2

Our own community is for support, so it’s labeled “support.” Some labels I’ve seen among our customers’ communities: “Let’s Talk,” “Share,” “Community,” “Forums,” and “Social.” Kinda all over the map!

(Nick Emmett) #3

We talk about it as the Community - when in there it’s the forums but our Community also includes our ideation board as well.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Do you think that Discussions is an intuitive and representative title here on our site?

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

We call it "Community"
I don’t like the word “Forum” because it reminds me old style forums
We don’t call it Discourse too, just “community” and it works pretty well because platform + people + discussions are in our mind the same thing!
Obviously, the URL is http://community.nethserver.org and it’s very very easy to memorize

p.s. I like Discussions here

(Richard Millington) #6

I was thinking about this recently.

Can we track how many people click this?

I’ve never liked ‘Discussions’, perhaps we should just call it ‘Experts’ instead?

(Gear Buzz) #7

The forums

(Joe Velez) #8

Feverbee is all about “community” so it surprises me that this is not the obvious choice.

Stay away from forums … it’s so passe.

(Bright Ibeawuchi) #9

Not sure i would go with “Experts” may be to intimidating for newbies.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Agreed. I think my preference is ‘Community’ but my advice to others would be to test and see what works for our audience.

@richard_millington Not currently, no, but I’ll see what I can work out.

(Sam) #11

On http://www.tnlounge.com/, we call ours ‘Discussion Forum’

(Pauline Wilson) #12

Agree with that @Bright_Ibeawuchi I recently joined this community and just received an email referring to Feverbee Experts and thought it was a whole different thing. I think Community is the obvious choice too @Joe_Velez

(Travis King) #13

Whatever you decide to name it, can you keep it in the main navigation? :smiley: I’m finding it hard to navigate when Discussions disappears from the header navigation when you visit the forums.

(Sarah Hawk) #14

No problem.

Can you explain the difficulty you’re having in more detail? Maybe there are other changes that I can make if it’s currently not intuitive.

(Travis King) #15

Sorry for getting this thread off-topic. Feel free to move it out :smiley:

When you visit the forums the main navigation no longer displays the Discussion Tab.
Eg. Main page navigation:

Forum navigation:

This makes it a bit more difficult to navigate. Granted you can navigate using the hamburger menu, but this isn’t often known by those unfamiliar with Discourse.

Thanks! :smiley:

(Sarah Hawk) #16

Fair call. I’ll add it back right now!

(Sarah Hawk) #17

If I change the HOME label to BLOG do you think that would help to reduce ambiguity?

(Travis King) #18

I don’t mind Home going to the blog. That would be the behavior I expect as your homepage is your blog. If you’re running out of navigation real estate you could also remove the Home link completely and just have your logo link back to the homepage like you do now. That’s become pretty excepted UX I think?

(Sarah Hawk) #19

It is, but it’s not core Discourse unfortunately. Doing that removes the ability to return to the community homepage.

(Travis King) #20

Ahh yes! Core Discourse…we’ve run into that before :smiley:

Thanks Sarah! You’re the best :wink: