What Community related blogs do you read?

(Nick Emmett) #1

Nice and simple - which are your go to blogs about Community practices? Who do you like to read from, who talks the most sense? Who resonates most with you? Who gives the best advice? FeverBee aside obviously - that's a given! ;)

(rhogroupee) #2

Of course Feverbee, and...lately I've been really appreciating these two:

Loyal blog: http://loyal.is/blog/

CMX Hub: http://cmxhub.com/browse/

(Susan Burton) #3

blog.socious.com is quite good

(Richard Millington) #4

CMX's blog material is pretty good.

One challenge I find with a lot of blog posts is generalising what worked with one major company with a billion dollars in the bank among all various types of communities. This is why almost all posts on gaining internal buy-in or hosting some 'fun' activity aren't too useful. They can't be generalised. 

I tend to read more outside the community space for ideas to bring into it.

A few blogs I love include:

• Seth Godin
  • Kevin Hillstrom 
  • Benedict Evan
  • The StackExchange Blog
  • UX Booth
  • Everyday Sociology
  • PsyBlog
  • Overcoming Bias
  • Copywrite Ink

Just noticing that almost all of them are written by white men. Hmm. 

(Nick Emmett) #5

I LOVE Seth Godin - so much great content, almost all short and very, very sweet!

Doesn't matter if they were written by a blind penguin with half a wing and a foxes tail! If the content is worthy, it's worthy. For the record, a good blog I like that's written by a white woman is Carrie Melissa Jones, she offers some good insight. I especially like her retrospective looks back at her year! Some good tips in there.

I also enjoy, Community Geek member Evan Hamilton's blog. Some great thoughts in there, and his roundups from the CM breakfasts he runs are great.

Cheers

Nick

(Richard Millington) #6

When I interned with Seth I used to see him write that blog. 

Every morning, without stopping, looking up, getting water, or moving he'd sit and wouldn't get up until the post was done. 

Carrie does CMX's posts too. Good material. 

(Nick Emmett) #7

I forgot you interned with Seth - I can actually similarities in the two blogs. Not all the time but in the format, and probably more the frequency. I love the insight, thanks. I think I might set myself a challenge to do something similar on mine, it's a bit neglected at the minute!

CMX's blog is where I found Carrie, I like to hunt people down on Twitter and Google when I see things I like and Carrie was one such person. Her CMX posts are excellent.

(Richard Millington) #8

Had a coffee with Carrie today. She's terrific and creates some of the best content out there.

(Anton) #9

I googled but not sure I found the right one. May you throw a link at me?

(Richard Millington) #10

the cmx site?

It’s up at www.cmxhub.com.

(Nick Emmett) #11

Just updating this thread - I’ve been listening to a lot of really enlightening podcasts lately- some work related and some personal - wondered how many of you guys regularly listened to podcasts, and which ones - I’m open to anything too, not necessarily Community/work related.

Here’s a sample of mine:

• The Art of Manliness
  • Tim Ferris
  • This American Life
  • Happier with Gretchen Rubin
  • Brainfluence with Roger Dooley

(Sarah Hawk) #12

Last year @patrick launched the [Community Signal] (http://www.communitysignal.com/) podcast. I had the honour of being guest no 2. I particularly like Venessa Paech’s episode.

(Nick Emmett) #13

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one - added to my subscriptions!