What are your favorite networking questions?

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #1

Hi, all! @marge.avt and I will be attending a conference for our community of practice profession. I want to brush up my ol’ networking questions for onsite. What questions do you like to ask members when you meet them?

Some of mine are:

1. What project is inspiring you?
  2. What are you looking forward to this year?
  3. What takeaways did you get from XYZ presentation?

(Courtney Howell) #2

Oh I just love this one! I’m stealing it.

Something I enjoy asking and hearing responses to is, “What has been your favorite moment?” (Might not be great on the first night but it’s usually fun if there are later networking opportunities. Alternatively, I might ask what has surprised them the most about the conference.)

(Richard Millington) #3

My favourite is ‘what brings you here?’

Lets people talk about challenges they’re having and potential for collaboration/helping someone.

(Shreyas) #4

I :heart:️ this one! We host open houses on Friday nights at our office where we have talks/discussions around a topic. During the icebreaker, I usually follow this format - “Name, what brings you here and how are you feeling?”.

That said, we host developer conferences in India. So being on the other side, some of us don’t often get to talk to the attendees as much as we’d like to, but during the networking dinner I usually ask them about their journey and map it on to my mental CRM. :slightly_smiling_face:
For example- it’s super interesting and useful to know that a data scientist who’d attended our conference had a background in network engineering.

(tophee) #5

Sometimes, I like to just ask people: “So?” and see what happens.

(Joel Zaslofsky) #6

Regardless of the context, my favorite question to ask new people is a variation on this: “What are you excited about right now?”

It’s open-ended enough that it doesn’t limit a response to a certain facet of life and gets you talking about things you’re passionate about. And when someone says, “Uhh … what do you mean?” I often clarify with, "You know – socially, culturally, intellectually, [add whatever category you want like “work-wise”].