What are some tips for developing a learning agenda for an online community?

(Finman) #1

What are some of the essentials in creating a learning agenda for an online community of practice? Does anyone have an example template?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi Martyn,
Welcome!

Can you elaborate? I’m not clear on what you mean by a learning agenda.

(Finman) #3

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for following up. I helping with the development of a community of practice and my team is building a learning agenda for the members to expect tailored learning events i.e. knowledge cafe’s, in person workshops, webinars and ask an expert events etc. I am curious to see if providing a curriculum for your members is standard in community building and if so, what are some good examples?

My goal is to demonstrate my commitment as a community manager to my members. I have read different theories about communities and I understand that by creating a domain, learning can organically happen and evolve based on member needs. I just would like to provide some initial structure and reassurance to the members.

(Richard Millington) #4

Think this ties in very closely with Etienne Wenger’s work here.

I’d probably tag in @Bardha (Ray too, if I could find his username on here).

(Nick Emmett) #5

Hey @Finman - welcome and great to hear from you?
What sort of learning are you talking about? Is it to help people learn how to get the most out of your community, or something more related to your products and business?

For me it all depends on what your members want to learn about the subject - have you asked any of them? Putting my hat on from a former career in learning and development, you need to figure out what gap(s) you’re trying to fill in for people, what value are you trying to give them, do people actually want to learn what you’re planning, is there a demand for it?