What are some good tasks to provide a Community Manager intern?

(Finman) #1

Hi Friends,

I hope you are all doing well. I am writing a scope of work for a potential student intern to work in community management. I was wondering if there are some particular “must have” tasks to help develop their skillset. The student will be at the graduate level?

What do you typically look for in interns or apprentices?

(Richard Millington) #2

I’ve seen quite a few people hiring interns in this space.

So I’ll go through what to avoid and what to focus on.

Avoid giving the intern all the dull/annoying work. That’s a sure-fire way to drive them from this profession. It also seems to be what happens a lot.

Begin by finding out what about communities the intern enjoys. What fascinates them? What do they like about the work? What would they be most interested in exploring further? Figure out their motivation and make sure any work aligns with that. You’ll never get good results unless they enjoy the work.

I’d try to give them an interesting project they can work on with a clear goal. Can they improve turnaround time? Can they improve community sentiment? Can they develop data-driven dashboards? Can they recruit some star contributors etc? Give them the training and resources they need to do that.

There are some awesome things you can do here to really inspire people to enjoy community work.

(Chris Detzel) #3

We’ve had a coupe of interns for community. I think Richard has a good point. The first intern was a video guru and she loved that kind of work, so we got her a mac, and some video equipment and she went out in the field and made several quality videos. It was great content and she had fun doing it.

We have another intern that currently does development work. He has to do some of the boring work, but I have given him a big project, which includes mobile. He’s having fun and it’s quite challenging for him. I think you should use their strengths and challenge them. Whether or not they become a community manager, who knows, but I know they were challenged and had a chance to use their skills in a real time setting.

(Finman) #4

@Chris_Detzel and @richard_millington,

These sound like great ideas ! We want to make sure that they also get some experience with a publication or an event by the end of their stay. The beauty is that our community is very young and so their is opportunity for she or he to take ownership.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Great advice in this topic.

I’d also consider a research/writing project. More than anything else, we spend our time writing – whether that is persuasive emails, responses to questions, new content etc.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #6

How about working with them to stalk influencers on social media and your community based on specific interests? They can do that in stealth mode, assemble a list for your review and validation and then formulate a plan to invite future influencers to your community?