What are our values?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’ve been working through the material for our Advanced Engagement Methods course and have realised how important it is to understand the core values of your community members, so that you can communicate in a way that resonates best. There is a great example of this in Rich’s recent blog post.

It would be incredibly helpful for me (and therefore ultimately to you) if you’d take this short survey (it shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes).

Am I reading member disclosure levels correctly?
Encouraging engagement in a new e-Learning Community
Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)
Has granting a badge for donating to a non-profit community worked for at least someone?
How do you make people search before asking a question?
(Sarah Hawk) #2

As it currently stands, our top three values are:

Edit: Removing these so I don’t bias the rest of the study. Rookie mistake. :wink:

If you haven’t yet responded, please do. It is super quick. I’ll share the results again next week.

Stigmas and community
(Nick Emmett) #3

Done, good exercise. I love values and finding out what makes people tick. Not sure I agree with some of the groupings but that’s kind of the point. They are subjective because they’re personal to us. I read a lot about this stuff from both a personal and a business perspective, I love business culture and like to think of myself as being a good man with good values.

I was quite interested to see Conformity in there, but then the things grouped with it and are strong values, I just don’t personally associate them with conforming.

Interested to hear other people’s thoughts.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

So that’s an interesting subject in itself. So you think that’s because we don’t like the idea that we conform? That perhaps there is a stigma attached to the word, in the same way that there is with lurkers (for some people)?

(Nick Emmett) #5

Now that you’ve changed your previous reply, I won’t say too much here, but I think for some people yes, people don’t like to be seen as conformists. In some circle’s I think that there can be stigmas attached to it. Again it’s very subjective and personal. Probably a better discussion when the survey’s finished.

(Richard Millington) #6

@nick_emmett this comes almost entirely from: http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1116&context=orpc. Which is definitely worth reading if you have the time.

Might be worth sending this out to the active members via email. Seeing what sort of response we get.

(Nick Emmett) #7

Really interesting read so far, I’m half way through and get some really good points in there, especially around the Tradition/Conformity issue, which is where my only deviance probably lies from his definitions. I like and value tradition but don’t consider myself as someone who values conformity, but then the description of conformity in there isn’t what I consider to be conformity (a type of social influence involving a change in belief or behavior in order to fit in with a group. This change is in response to real (involving the physical presence of others) or imagined (involving the pressure of social norms / expectations) group pressure - simplepsychology.com rather than being worried about upsetting people. But then again, that’s just my interpretation.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

I sent out an email to members that have been active some time over the last two months and the response so far is great. Thanks to everyone that has taken the survey.

I’ll let you know the results after Easter, because I’m keen to pursue this discussion around conformity (and the use of descriptions).

(Bo McGuffee) #9

Done!

Fwiw, I thought the “conformity” description seemed a little odd, too. No survey will ever be perfect though. In fact, I suspect it is best to have a challenging description. Otherwise, people won’t actually think about it.

(Nick Emmett) #10

Good point @irreverance

(Janet Swisher) #11

The labels that a social scientist puts on categories are often different from the labels that people being studied would use. Like for “Conformity”, some people might react against the label “Hedonism”, because the everyday use of the term carries a value judgement that the social-scientific use of it does not. With the clarity of hindsight, leaving the labels off entirely might have avoided such reactions.

(Richard Millington) #12

That’s a fair point. We’re working without a map here and figuring out the best route as we go along. Power could also be replaced with something else.

It’s a fine line between making sure it translates well to our audience yet still staying true to the theory itself.

Stigmas and community
(Sarah Hawk) #13

Ok, Easter is officially over so here you have it (we got 50 responses).

1. SELF-DIRECTION (creativity, freedom, curiosity, independence, choosing one’s own goals)
  2. BENEVOLENCE (helpfulness, honesty, forgiveness, loyalty, responsibility)
  3. UNIVERSALISM (broad-mindedness, beauty of nature and arts, social justice, a world at peace, equality, wisdom)

These don’t really surprise me although I do wonder if people were swayed by terminology.

(Nick Emmett) #14

Yeah, not too surprised in the most part. I think terminology does, to some extent, sway people in this kind of exercise. I’ve done something similar in the past where we’ve asked people to list their own top X values, and then we’ve looked at how they fit in to a framework such as this (can’t actually remember which was used at the time though). That way people list whats actually important to them, rather than picking from a list and trying to fit them in some how.