What am i working on. Project for a mentoring program

(richman par) #1

Continuing the discussion from So, what are you working on?: I am currently working with a mentoring program. I was asked to create a program for the kids to learn some transferable skills with us. So I want to teach the kids how to build a community around an event in 14 weeks. I have no clue on what I’m doing as far as professional community buildering. Please help.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey @lildaceo4 – no worries at all, we can help. :slight_smile:

It would be useful to get a few more details. Are you hoping to build an online community around the event? If so, do you mean via social media (e.g. a Facebook group) or a dedicated platform (like this one).

What are the goals of that community?

(richman par) #3

So my goals is to build an online community that will actually come to the event in person or view via streaming. Your platform definitely for the use of the forums. Social media for sure. I’m looking to teach them how to grow a following, and facilitate the community. Within 14 weeks 2 hours a week.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Ok, I think I’ve got it. You want to teach other people how to build an online community (which will be for people that will attend a specific event).

That’s a fairly monumental ask if you’re also starting from scratch yourself, but it’s doable. :slight_smile:

In an ideal world I’d recommend that you took our on-demand training, which takes you step-by-step through the basics, right up to advanced strategy. Do you have a budget for training? If so, here is more info about our online community training courses (and feel free to ask questions).

If you don’t have a budget, I’d recommend reading through this comprehensive list of community building resources. That will give you a foundation of information from which to build. Then you can come back here with specific questions and to get support.

Does that sound like a plan?

(richman par) #5

My event will be a gaming tournament between two local mentoring program. My project will focus on the building of the community around the event. I have an idea on the direction of the weekly assignments, discussions, and topics. I want it to be fresh, fun and effective. that’s why I am learning the skills of a community manager, before I have to hire one for the weekly task. I really cant afford to do so. Thanks for all your time and help, I really and truly appreciate every bit of it.

(richman par) #6

Yes it does. I have no budget for my project yet. working on that now. will take your advice and come back to this forum. thanks again for your assistance in this matter.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Do you have any specific questions or challenges at this point, or do you need to do some reading first?

(richman par) #8

Reading first.

(Nick Emmett) #9

This sounds like a pretty awesome project @lildaceo4 and a great way to get kids involved in Community building, relationships building, communication skills, content creation and plenty of other great stuff. the resources that @HAWK shared are awesome, I’m working my way through the training courses and the list of reading material is one of my go to places when I need a refresh or some stimulation thinking wise.

Good luck, let us know if you have more questions as you get in to this.