Welcome posts/threads

engagement

(Sian White) #1

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this community, and to community management in general!

I work for a national charity and we launched an online community for parents and family carers in autumn 2016.

Just wondering how everyone manages welcome posts. We created a welcome thread for people to introduce themselves in, but people are still creating their own threads, just to explain who they are. It’s nice, but it’s just filling the feed up with low-value noise. And once they are there, I can’t exactly clear them up.

How does everyone else manage welcome posts? We are working in Discourse, by the way.

Thanks.
Sian

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi @sianwhite
Great question.

I talked at length about my thoughts on this recently – I’m going be lazy and link you to that discussion.

Happy to expand on any points.

(Nick Emmett) #3

My thoughts are still developing around this and am some what on the fence.

I have a kind of hybrid post that I do every Friday, more of a weekly roundup of things that are going on in the wider community, calling out any achievements etc that I know of, calling out important reminders and events that have been posted, and I generally close with a welcome call out to our new members. In fairness I have a varied response rate, with some weeks getting not much response and others getting lots. I invite people to tell us in there what challenges they’re facing and then try and direct those to where they need to be for help. I also see some connections being made when people recognise mutual industries/location etc.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I think that sounds like a good compromise though, Nick – the post contains information that is of value to people, and if it prompts responses, great. I’d try and avoid anything that literally has no value and fills up with fluff.

Does this give you something to work with @sianwhite?

(Sian White) #5

Thanks for your responses @Nick_Emmett and @HAWK.

I might experiment with the round up idea, or try to find a way to pin the our welcome tread at the top for all users (which I haven’t managed to do yet - this must be possible, right? That would hopefully dissuade people from creating their own threads to introduce themselves)

Thanks both,
Sian

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Absolutely. Click the spanner to the right of the post:

Which brings up the admin menu:

Choosing Pin Topic will bring up this modal:

The first option lets you pin the post to the top of the category that it is in, and users can unpin it themselves by clicking on the Pin icon to the right of the title. You can also set a date for it to auto-unpin.

The second option allows you to pin it to the top of every category (not just the one it’s in)

The last option creates a banner topic, which you can style with CSS. I use one here, for example.

The above example works really well. We get a 10% conversion rate (new users posting in that topic) and no extraneous welcome topics. If you want to do something similar I can help you style it.

(Sian White) #7

Ah brilliant, the global pin seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much!

Really like the banner too, I’ll add that to my to do list :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help @HAWK!