Weekly occurring posts: are you for or against this?

Hi Everyone! I am a new Community Manager and I am trying out a couple of recurring posts to give everyone something to look forward to each week, to have a low entry barrier for those who are chat-shy, and hopefully to help people get to know one another.

Questions to you all: have you all implemented recurring posts? Has it worked out? What are some types that are successful? If you are against recurring posts, please share your thoughts!

2 Likes

I use recurring reminders (in my personal, productivity system) that prompt me to do thing… write an occasional ‘view from my chair’, post a provocative question, … that works well for me.

1 Like

I like them,
Trying to create a ritual is always a good thing and this is the first step, I believe. Topics are always very very specific to your type of community and your members’ preferences. Test some ideas.

1 Like

I used to be very much in favour of this. I think I advocated for it quite strongly in my first book.

My experience however is people enjoy it at first for the novelty factor - but ultimately it depends upon whether members find a lot of value in the content. In many cases, the answer is no (member interviews are a good example of this).

Another example is ‘working out loud’ discussions which are really popular at first but the popularity soon dies (often because people are working on the same things each week).

So I’m broadly against it, but there are certainly exceptions.

1 Like

I agree with RIch…often members go “blind” to recurring posts, because it starts to feel like “I’ve seen this already.” I have a colleague who was doing a weekly wrapup post with the same subject line each week, and I steered her away from that. Better to highlight one key item that’s interesting in the subject, than to post “Weekly Roundup August 2.”

1 Like

Ahhh! I was using your first book as my guide! Guess I need to get the second one then, huh? :wink:

Thank you for this! That has been my strategy as well. I think I should just lay off being too consistent right now.

Yes, I totally agree! Thank you!

OMG, I think you are in my brain! Thank you for offering me a better alternative to what I am doing currently,

Well, the 3rd one (Build Your Community) is the most recent but there’s a host of great community books around today.

I think it depends on the purpose of the weekly summary and community. I’ve used this approach and it’s been well received and increased engagement on questions that didn’t have it, thus driving collaboration between members.

However, I tried another weekly post and it didn’t work, so I stopped and will be coming up with a new approach.

1 Like

I use weekly posts as starting discussions… it’s a good place where not-so-active people would try to share something or write their first post

1 Like

I recently joined my current company about a month and a half ago as one of the new community managers, and this is one of the things I’ve been asked to take a look at and see what I can do with it.

We had a regular “working out loud” thread posted each week in the past from what I’ve seen, but like many people here are reporting, that novelty died down after a while and the last posts saw no activity at all from members.

I too have really waned from the idea of having a weekly occurring post but I also I like the idea of incorporating something “interesting” into the subject of these so it doesn’t feel stale. Maybe it’d be better to have a regular subject rotation of weekly or bi-monthly threads with different subjects (for instance, what are you learning this week could be a great one for a community with trainings or skill courses attached to it). It really does depend I think and like @hausmus mentioned, I’m still looking into new approaches for this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OMG, I was literally asked to start with a “working out loud” thread too when I first started! This must be a popular tool that once worked well. Thanks everyone for your thoughts here. As you all are doing, it is truly trial and error, depending on the communities’ needs.

1 Like

Hi @maripo - I encourage you to give it a shot! Each community is different, and weekly posts might be something that your members engage with on a recurring basis. If you find that there are not many comments, or not many comments that add value, consider eliminating them.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I have been trying a lot of things…and eliminating them later on. I’ll get it right soon enough, I hope!

1 Like