vB4 or Xenforo

challenges

(will mckay) #1

I’ve been working on a website for quite a while. It has not been officially launched. I have the forum section under vB4. Is now the time to migrate to xenForo? Is xenForo a good choice? Thanks much.

(Shreyas) #2

As someone who had 2 vBulletin forums that I’ve managed get hacked, I would say that I don’t really trust the security of vBulletin forums because of vulnerabilities and spam. However, I haven’t really managed a Xenforo forum either. But you should definitely check out the comparison put together by FeverBee if you already haven’t: https://www.feverbee.com/communityplatforms/?comp=xenforo/vbulletin

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I can’t speak objectively about whether Xenforo is a good choice, but if you want to stay with vB/Xenforo then I would say it is definitely time to migrate.

@Gear_buzz can probably advise here.

(will mckay) #4

Thanks so much. I’ll check out the link you provided. Time to leave vB. : (

(will mckay) #5

I’ll probably go with a WP/XF site. Thanks, Hawk, always good to get good advise from you.

(James McMahon) #7

You said that he site isn’t fully launched yet… Is this a new community?

I’m a big advocate of Discourse, but it really depends on your community’s needs and the kind of discussions you want to build it around.

(will mckay) #8

Thanks, James. It’s a new community, sort of (BeachConnections.com). I’ve been working on it for years. : ) Finally retired and can spend time on it. It’s a portal/voice site for the Myrtle Beach area in S.C. Planning on starting the migration to xenForo this week.

Thanks for your input.

(Richard Millington) #9

We wouldn’t recommend either of them to a client when when Vanilla and Discourse are around.

Sorry :slight_smile:

(will mckay) #10

Now you tell me. : )

I’ve read your book “Buzzing Communities” three times. Great resource. I bought two more to give to my future moderators. I won’t trust them with mine.

I’m an underliner and highlighter reader. Just about every page looks like this:

Thanks much…

(Emma Furtado) #11

I don’t think I would loan my copy out either :smiley: