Value Curve

(Joel Rangelle) #1

Some food for thought. This isn’t totally fleshed out on my part but it’s just something that I’m bouncing around in my head.

I’m reviewing some training material on community management, and everyone talks about how you need to make communities ‘indispensable’. Yet when it comes to the discussion over content programming, everybody falls back to the example of pushing members along the Community Commitment Curve.

But hold on. The community commitment curve focuses on member participation and engagement. It has nothing to do with driving core business strategy like product ideation, support deflection, customer conversion, or anything else.

Some thoughts:

1. This might just be a terrible training video. (For full disclosure, this isn’t FeverBee’s community managament training but it is another large community organization’s training).
  2. In its defense, I’ve seen this flaw across multiple training sources. When it comes to strategy, everybody says to align to the company’s actual business goals. But when it comes to execution and content programming, everybody uses the example of the CCC …which may or may not actually align with business objectives.
  3. Someone needs to create a Value Curve of generating higher and higher levels of brand value. THAT is how you push community value and make the community indispensable to the parent organization.

(Richard Millington) #2

I generally agree with you here.

This is why we don’t teach the community commitment curve in our courses (and there is no data that supports it works and plenty against).

We don’t teach the community commitment course for that reason. Instead we do actually go through the process of aligning execution to that goals. Which is also why people seem to like our courses :slight_smile:

(Joel Rangelle) #3

I mean, I like the framework and paradigm of the Community Commitment Curve. But I don’t think the CCC necessarily aligns to community objectives unless your one and only objective is to develop superusers. I think it can provide a broader model on how to cultivate all kinds of users for your community for all kinds of objectives, whether it be users who can provide product ideation, product feedback, support deflection, presales, marketing case studies, etc. At it’s essence the framework of the CCC is simply “personal development” of the user. But is the personal development limited to solely engagement? I don’t think so, and I think that’s a very constrained view.

In any case, I think the more appropriate model is to look at something like a generic Value Curve that encompasses many kinds of community value (and not just engagement).

On another related note, I was re-reading your article on Medium and really liked the examples. My only critique was that the impact examples should have been grouped by organizational function … for example, to the sales group, the marketing group, the finance group, the operations group, the quality control group, etc. I think that would help community managers better correspond the impact examples to their organization’s departments.