Topics for a newsletter to community ambassadors (power users)

(MHCommMgr) #1

To increase engagement earlier this year, we started a newsletter for our community ambassadors, and are looking to increase its frequency to monthly or bimonthly, and make it shorter and more inspiring. We have some ideas for types of content to share, but I’m wondering if anyone else has successfully driven engagement with monthly newsletter type communications to their ambassadors, and can share topic ideas.

Some topics we are thinking of include spotlights of other ambassadors, tips and tricks for using the site that they can share with their individual community members, successful threads, monthly health-related awareness days (we’re a health related site).

Right now we get about a 45% open rate on this newsletter, which seems pretty good.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Yup, that’s good! It implies that they trust you and that the content is relevant.

(MHCommMgr) #3

Well, they trust the former community manager, who started it! But yes, it was working.

(Richard Millington) #4

45% is far higher than what we get (but I imagine that’s also partly because many of the accounts in our mailing list have gone dormant over the past 6 years and not been pruned by mailchimp).

My take is newsletters tend to work best when the signal to noise ratio is at its highest. So only send a newsletter when there is something genuinely remarkable you know members will want. Keep it limited to just the best content and includes links back to participate.

There was one I saw a few months ago that had the ability to initiate a discussion direct from the newsletter or ask a question. Simple, but effective.

Spotlights tend to be a mixed bag. They’re good when you can find someone who truly has a remarkable new idea or insight to share. They’re bad when they are set weekly and you find yourself scrambling to find someone to fill the space.

Bit of a side-track, but can someone tell me what bimonthly means? I once put this in a contract with a client who felt this meant doing the task twice a month whereas I thought every 2 months.

(Darren Gough) #5

I think it can actually mean both, which is confusing.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Ridiculously confusing!