Time Management Tricks

(Joe Narusis) #1

There never seems to be enough hours in the day, so what are the most effective ways to manage your time? The link below offers 26 time management tricks from Étienne Garbugli that are backed with research evidence and years of experience.

The article starts with a very important statement - “Most people learn time management the hard way: by trial and error.” We all have different tricks that work for us, and it may take some time to figure out the best way to manage your time.

Here are some of the tricks that really stood out to me:

1. Stop multitasking. It merely kills your focus

2. Work iteratively, Expectations to do things perfectly are stifling.

3. “If something can be done 80% as well by someone else, delegate!” - John C. Mavwell, Author

What tricks in this article stood out to you, or what are some other tricks that you think should be added to this list?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Love this.

"Only plan for 4-5 hours of real work per day."
I am bad at this and as a result, I seriously over commit. I also prioritise the things that I like doing, which means that the things that get bumped off the end become unnecessary and ongoing stressors.

(Richard Millington) #3

The biggest one I’d highlight there is no. 18 - only work on your most important tasks.

That’s usually the thing that will have the biggest long-term impact (or within a community context whatever thing will change the behavior for the most amount of people for the longest period of time).

A common problem I notice is working on the things that are most fun instead of whatever’s most critical to the future success of the business. Or, sometimes, working on what’s urgent instead of what’s important. Both are pretty big problems.

A few years ago I began having a cheat day (or weekend). Some of you probably do this too. I eat whatever I felt like eating during the week. Recently I’ve begun doing this for things I felt like doing during the week. Checking Facebook, Twitter, News etc…are all now cheat day activities. Whereas during the working day I’m a lot more focused.

I’ve also largely reduced my email to a dozen or more (genuine) emails per day which I tend to check twice per day. It’s helped a lot.

(Nick Emmett) #4

I like this, love these kind of things.
A couple of things I liked further to those already mentioned:

21: “Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games.” - Turn the page on yesterday. Only ever think about today and tomorrow.
I’m a big believer in something my mum and grandma used to say - “what’s done is done”. I like to move on and there’s quite a bit of cultural media around mindfulness, living in the moment and not dwelling on the past.

24: Always take notes. I LOVE notes. And also love how they feature in some of the great business minds out there - e.g. Richard Branson is a dedicated note taker.

26: Take breaks. sometimes. Links to another conversation here about taking time off.

(Shauna Farey) #5
  1. Work around procrastination.
    This is me working at home right now. Washing machine is washing. Kitchen is clean. Checking some facebook and feverbee posts.
    Now I will mark the student’s assessments.