The Painful Reality of Internal Communities

(Richard Millington) #1

Originally published at: https://www.feverbee.com/internal/
This has been one of the most painful documents I’ve read in ages.

Screenshot 2016-02-09 02.26.08

There were hundreds of opportunities to engage directly, honestly, transparently, and as a human being. Every single opportunity was wasted.

If you’re going to create a platform for staff to engage directly with those higher up in the organisation, it’s easy to gauge current sentiment and prepare yourself to respond to those questions (in fact, it’s the entire point of the platform).

If you need examples for what happens when you launch a platform without training and a broader culture change, I can’t think of anything better (or worse!).

(Mark Baldwin) #2

Great read @richard_millington but that’s an hour of my time I will never get back. :slight_smile: I can’t believe I’ve sat and read most of that document, quite compelling. What a bizarre setup and a truly wasted opportunity. Some of the questions asked were genuinely deep and complex issues that were either dismissed out of hand or passed off with no real concern for the individual and just deleting awkward or supposedly inappropriate questions is a terrible practice. Also personally speaking I find the lack of humour particularly distressing. Not advocating being flippant with serious questions, but sometimes we all need to just lighten up and have a bit of fun.

Having said that, when dealing with a global community, I find humour doesn’t always translate very well and sometimes comments have to be explained, but I’m reluctant to stop doing it because that’s the kind of person I am and the games we make have a very British sense of humour.

Would be interested in getting a take on using humour in community discussions.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I have also always been fascinated by this. So much of humour can get lost in translation. I like to use it freely – I think it’s what makes people human and approachable, but I concede that it has gotten me in trouble before.

I guess, like most things, it depends on the nature of the community and the specifics of the discussion.

What are your thoughts @Mjbill?

(Alessio Fattorini) #4

I use ironic stuff like memes, funny pics or smyles in my posts every day, it seems that people like that and they feel more comfortable. I do this to avoid people take things too seriously and
it’s easier for me build relationship with my guys even if Not all members like such approach

(Mark Baldwin) #5

To be honest, I sometimes forget that I am dealing with a global community and my Britishness (is that a word?) comes through and can sometimes lead to a bit of embarrassment when someone misunderstands, but I always go out of my way to apologise and take the blame as the last thing I want is for someone in the community to feel stupid that they’ve not understood something in the right context. Making someone feel embarrassed that they “didn’t get it” is a sure fire way of alienating them and maybe even losing them from the community.

(Priscilla McClay) #6

Ouch. It’s even worse if you look at the dates - two months to get some of those bland, corporate answers.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #7

Sure sounds British to me :smiley:

(purldator) #8

I put on my Empathy game face. I show my Empathy; thick and true.

Then, I ask them to do the same. By nature, they would do the same in consent. That comes from the basic feeling of remorse; lack of remorse would mean my Empathetic gestures are moot and met with more unwanted behavior, or a tactic related to deceit.

It becomes less about me talking down to someone and more “let us work together, come to a compromise, as we are all here to help for the same cause”.

(In hindsight, I am unsure what the OP’s image refers to. Moderation flags? The text mentions something related to corporate dealings. In any case, I feel my reply has some merit, even if not wholly related to the topic here.)

(hellekin wolf) #9

I want to share a quote from a master of self-derision and dark humor, French humorist Pierre Desproges:

One can laugh of everything, but not with everyone.

Sometimes humor hits filters and can turn an innocent conversation into some nasty flame war, or more simply provoke unwanted emotions.

(Robert McIntosh) #10

Shame it appears to have been taken down - don’t suppose anyone has a copy? Intrigued now

(Piper_Wilson) #11

(Sarah Hawk) #12

(Sarah Hawk) #13

(Ayanda Khuzwayo) #14

humour definitely puts people at ease, could be a tool used to appeal to people’s emotions. It helps you generally, to be a nice person to be around.