The Discussions You Can’t Google

(Richard Millington) #1

Originally published at: https://www.feverbee.com/cant-google/
We often wrestle with how advanced discussions in a community should be. Should we let people come and ask the simplest, easiest, questions in our community? Or should we demand that discussions should take place at a more advanced level? Here’s a simple rule of thumb. Discussions in a community should focus on answers you can’t Google. If we’re looking for a designer, we can search for designers. If we want to get a list of trusted designers that others have worked with and would recommend, that probably requires asking the question. If I am overwhelmed with information on a topic…

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I experienced this earlier in the year when I was upskilling on marketing and conversion topics. There is SO much information out there, but going to @edfryed’s community and asking a few specific questions meant that I could narrow down what I read and could form an actionable strategy.

On a micro level, this is the same concept as consulting. I remember suffering a crisis of imposter syndrome when I first worked with a client because I felt like I wasn’t telling them anything that they couldn’t find out elsewhere. I realised that I was providing the filter through with the information passed so that they only had stuff that was relevant and valuable to them.

(Darren Gough) #3

Love the honesty about the first client experience @HAWK - I think everyone can relate to that!

There’s a great quote about successful people doing the things others don’t want to do. I think that tends to be true. In theory the internet holds every piece of free information somewhere to achieve any result - the value of communities, for me, is about the experiences and stories. How did people get on? What was the challenge? What was the application and context?