The connection between offline and online learning experiences

(Kate Billing) #1

Continuing the discussion from So, what are you working on?:

So, what are you working on?
(Sarah Hawk) #2

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by social learning communities? Are these internal communities within the client’s organisation?

Your challenge is an interesting one. If I’m understanding you correctly, it’s actually pretty similar to our situation here at FeverBee. We are a team of consultants that all work with different clients, all of whom we encourage to join the community here for extra/ongoing support, sometimes during and often after our engagement.

We all spend some time here, but I’m our CM so the bulk of that support comes from me (and the wider community). While I don’t actively spend time with my team’s clients, we all teach a similar method, and collaborate closely (in our case using Slack – we’re a fully remote team) to make sure that the messages are aligned.

TL;DR

• We broadly teach the same methods, principles and frameworks
  • We collaborate closely outside of the community
  • We all spend time here and are aware of what is being communicated across the board

(Nick Emmett) #3

This is an interesting concept for me too and would be good to know what you mean when you say Social Learning Communities. I get the impression that they are internal communities but are they specifically focused on learning only or is it a fairly typical community concept that people are encouraged to use in a social learning type way? How are you using the communities to enhance and supplement the learning being offered along with trying to faciliate people learning from each other?

I’m of the opinion that it’s very easy to over think the term Social Learning and make it a formal process almost - which defeats the point. In essence, it’s learning from each others experiences and knowledge, it’s how you use your network and the platform to help facilitate that in the online community world that makes it such a hot topic.

Interesting conversation, thanks for starting it.

(Scott Gould) #4

Hi @KateB,

Can I recommend you check out seasaltlearning.com, and try to speak to one of their team. They do similar work offline, and then move it into the online space.

I imagine that they would have some pearls of wisdom to share with you!

Scott