Switching off

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I was reading an article about traits of a good CM and one of them was the ability to switch off.

How often do you walk away from your community for a whole day. I'm not sure that I do it enough.

(Darren Gough) #2

I think it's tough because communities are on 24/7 for the most part. I think especially when you start out (and probably still when you're experienced) there's a human tendency to want to solve everyone's problems and/or there's always something exciting going on to think about.

I think time away can give a sense of perspective and allow you to distill things down to the biggest/most important actions you need to take.

Maybe we should launch a CM brand of red wine to help? :)

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Maybe we should launch a CM brand of red wine to help?

One of the hardest lessons is switching off BEFORE having the wine. In my early days there were a number of times when I woke up thinking "I probably shouldn't have posted that/sent that email/tweeted" after those couple of wines...

(Darren McKay) #4

We were camping in Dorset last week and the site had no connectivity of any sort - I had no choice but to disconnect for a few days. It’s strangely liberating.

You should have support structures in place anyway for the ‘walked in front of a bus’ scenario. The community should not die just because you do, and it’s good to test that out once in a while.

Don’t be disappointed if it all carries on without you - it means you’ve done a good job!