Swarm 2015

event

(Sarah Hawk) #1

2015 marked the 5th year of Swarm and it didn’t disappoint. It did make me question the validity of an overarching conference for ‘Community Management’ slightly, because while every presentation was valuable in and of itself, there was little cohesion across the whole event. That isn’t a criticism of the event itself (for which I was on the board), but rather of the nature of our industry. As a consultant it was useful – you never know what your next client might need – but as a Community Manager our needs are quite granular.

That said, I got a lot out of each session.

Key takeaway: I have some work to do around statistics and reporting. Joe Cothrel gave some great benchmarking statistics so I plan to find ways to pull similar data from our Discourse platform so that I can start to plot our growth. I’ve been complacent about it until now.

The conference didn’t have a set theme, but over the course of the main day it became very clear that as an industry we are going through a period of flux, so I think that the concept of Community Managers as change agents started coming through quite strongly. More on that to follow.

Below are links to my notes, distilled down into something readable. I’ll add links as I write things up.

CREATING RELATIONSHIPS WITH CONTENT, COMMUNITY & COMMERCE Luke Buckle
REIMAGINING CUSTOMER SUPPORT COMMUNITIES Caty Kobe
COMMUNITY MANAGER AS CHANGE AGENT Jonathon Hutchinson
SOCIAL MEDIA – LEGAL PERILS & MANAGING THE RISK Stephen von Muenster
COMMUNITY METRICS: RATES AND RATIOS Joe Cothrel

Conferences 2017
(Nick Emmett) #2

These are awesome @HAWK, thanks for sharing. Just working my way through them now,

(Sarah Hawk) #3

No problem. I still have more to come. It’s a work in progress!