Summer drinks inspiration

(Sarah Hawk) #1

While I realise that it’s not summer for most of you, it almost is for me, and I need inspiration for summer drinks.

I had a brief conversation with @ffield about it a while back, and I’m keen to build on that list.

@Rob_Nicholson @Bas_van_Leeuwen @jess_burnham and @Nick_Emmett – I know you all love a beer (and @Doug_Agee loves pumpkin beer - whatever that is!).

Any good suggestions?

(Travis King) #2

As a fellow lover of gin, I always enjoy its refreshing taste in summer. A classic gin and ginger ale always makes me feel better. But the wife recently just threw a drink together than I’ve been finding surprising and interesting. Mix gin with a shot of peach schnapps and top with tonic water.

(Robert McIntosh) #3

Beer? Surely not!

If you want something refreshing(ly different) why not try a Port & Tonic?!

50/50 White Port & a nice Dry Tonic water (Fever Tree)
Add a slice of lemon and you’re off.

Brilliantly fresh, and not too alcoholic

(Robert McIntosh) #4

If you are going to insist on Gin, then why not try one that’s a bit different? I was introduced to Brockman’s Gin by a friend who works on it.

Brockman’s & Tonic, with a sliver of pink grapefruit skin and a couple of blueberries. Delicious and slightly fruity

(Sarah Hawk) #5

There are some good ones around. :wink:

(Robert McIntosh) #6

I have to ensure I’m consistent with my brand :wink:

(Jess Burnham) #7

Oh, this is torture! I am such a beer snob and I would love to recommend all of the good ones I know, but they’re all located in what we call the Pacific North West (Basically from Oregon in the United States to British Columbia in Canada).

All the best hops grow there.

However… When in doubt, make an old fashioned!

Here’s a good recipe:
Calvados with a bit of Mezcal, honey syrup, aromatic bitters, and a lemon twist (and lots of ice).

Are you familiar with Caesars? Not to be confused with Bloody Mary’s, they are my go-to drinks all year when beer isn’t available, here’s a recipe. Cheers!

(Sarah Hawk) #8

I’m not, but I’ve just checked out your link and I’ve never heard of Clamato juice before.
I don’t think we get it here and it sounds… interesting.

(Nick Emmett) #9

I too am a bit of a beer snob! I love European beer, and much, much prefer it if it is imported and not brewed here in the UK. Some favourites are San Miguel and Mahou from Spain, Amstel, Duvel (very strong - beware! Some favourite’s from the US would be Blue Moon (served with a slice of orange of course, Sam Adams and Brooklyn).

On the spirit side of things I’m a rum lover (mainly dark, and predominantly Havana Club, the older the better). My favourite is a simple Cuba Libre (Rum, coke, splash of lime/lemon juice) - this was my drink du jour when I visited Cuba several years ago. We would roll up to the beach and go to our the little bar hut, pick up a beer and a Cuba Libra to start the day! Bliss.

(Rachael Reilly) #10

Moscow Mule - if it’s good enough for Oprah…! :wink:

Moscow Mule Recipe

(Jess Burnham) #11

This must be remedied!!!

(Travis King) #12

I was also thinking about mentioning a classic Old Fashioned. Such a great drink and it allows some experimentation to get creative.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to drinks that don’t have mixers though.

(Travis King) #14

I was the same way. It takes some time to get used to it for sure. Or as one friend said who introduced me to the martini “It’s a dangerous and seductive mistress” :smiley:

(Bas van Leeuwen) #15

Do heed this man’s advice.

Favorites of mine include Weihenstephaner (yes, it’s German), Duvel, Hopus, Vedett, and Delerium

(Darren Gough) #16

I’m outraged @HAWK you didn’t tag me into this originally :smiley:

I’d recommend a good chilled IPA - Lagunitas is a particular fav but take it slowly as it’s got a good alcohol kick to it!

(Doug Agee) #17

Tasty conversation. I really have enjoyed researching Mountain (or Bourbon) Mules this summer. It is basically a moscow mule made with true Kentucky bourbon. Bonus points for copper mugs. A good start is http://www.cakenknife.com/bourbon-mule/

(Jay Pfaffman) #18

I highly recommend the 12 Bottle bar. After reading it and making a few drinks, you’ll be armed and ready to whip up whatever you or your friends are in the mood for! We made a bunch of simple-syrup concoctions (that add up to many more than 12 bottles!). As far-fetched as it seems, making your own grenadine is the only way to go. I’m about to make another batch this afternoon. Highly recommended.

Ooh! And while I’m book peddling, a friend of mine wrote Strong Waters, which has a great Limoncello recipe and lots of other interesting do-it-yourself liqueurs. I’ve been meaning to make another batch of that too.

On a trip to Zurich a couple summers ago, we were hot and tired and stopped at an outdoor bar. I saw a drink that looked like and refreshing. “I’ll have whatever they’re having.” It was delicious. It was a Hugo, champagne, elderflower syrup, mint, and lime. It can be a little hard to find elderflower syrup, but it’s worth it.

(Sarah Hawk) #19

Ha. So funny that you say that because I was out later that day and suddenly realised what a gross oversight that was, and then didn’t remember when I came home.

(Sarah Hawk) #20

That sounds like my perfect drink. I’m currently brewing some elderflower ale. Elderflower syrup is very easy to get here. St Germain is also great – an elderflower liqueur.

My brother used to own a cocktail bar and has given me a whole lot of bar equipment so I’m going to investigate your book recommendations and get started!