Successful Community Management: Promotional Growth

(Lucie Pinto) #1

In the past we have hosted community awards to help get our Software Users into our Community. We’d award them with a gift certificate and a Champion Mug or Tshirt with our logo. This was great to bring engagement to the Community but there were drawbacks.

We would post the award in the Community and then email our User to nominate their Institution or Peer.

Here were the list of Drawbacks:

• Sometimes very few people would vote
  • The quality of the nominations were sometimes slim
  • We had people complain when they thought they deserved the award. We sometimes used our software metrics to give awards and people would say “But I had more people nominating me then that person did.”

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I’ve been part of a similar program in the past and experienced these same drawbacks. In the end we canned it because the work outweighed the benefits (and it was starting to look a bit awkward).

Do you have measurable successes that you can weigh up against the drawbacks above?

(Lucie Pinto) #3

The successes were that more people joined the Community and people were really excited about the Awards.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Sounds like a worthy program, but it might be good to figure out if there is a way to actively measure the number of people that join as a result of that promotion. Anecdotal evidence (i.e. people being excited) is great, but it only goes so far if the value of the program is called into question.