Strategies for Reaching out to other communities

growth
challenges

(Angelo Luciani) #1

What are your thoughts on reaching out to other communities to provide value? I’d like to introduce our community to other technology communities in an effort to provide value and drive growth to ours if that makes sense.

Any reach out suggestions? Tactics?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey Angelo.
I’m not sure I understand the question. Do you mean reach out to other communities to find members that might be interested in joining yours and vice versa?

(Angelo Luciani) #3

Hi @HAWK - sorry for not being very clear, was in the middle of a couple things :wink:

You are correct, finding members from other communities that might be interested in joining and vice versa.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

All good.

I think there is value in what you suggest, depending on the communities. I accidentally created a situation which I think is pretty similar to what you are talking about.

We have a symbiotic relationship with the Discourse meta community. We have quite a few members in common, which makes sense given that most people using Discourse are trying to build a community of some sort. It’s valuable for us because it is a growth channel and it is valuable for Meta because they can keep their concept focussed by directing more general community building discussions over here.

I didn’t plan it, so I can’t say that I used specific tactics, but it formed organically after I built relationships with Jeff and @erlend_sh.

If I were to do the same thing actively with another community I’d start by building a relationship with the CM. I think the reason that it works well here is because we have mutual respect – I don’t spam meta with links but when something comes up, Erlend sends them over.