Stigmas and community

(Sarah Hawk) #1

@richard_millington talks frequently about not self-censoring or worrying too much about offending outliers. There have been several discussions here lately about stigmas and negative connotations:

It has made me very aware of the words that I use and how they might affect other people. How responsible do you think we need to be about the words we choose and how we communicate to our members?

(Ralph Mason) #2

Few people—if any—are able to receive messages without them being filtered through a kind of emotional screen. Each screen is different, based on background, experience and so on, and you never know when something you say will get flagged by someone’s filter. You can never keep everyone happy, but it pays to take some care in how you phrase things, whether in speech or writing. It’s usually better to have people on side. You pack of idiots. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Love it. I don’t have a filter so you’re ok.

(Ralph Mason) #4

It’s sooooo tempting to try to prove you wrong, but I’ll resist. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Sarah Hawk) #5

You’d possibly do it with trans-Tasman jokes. :wink:

(Ralph Mason) #6

I’m too sheepish to do a thing like that. :wink:

(Bo McGuffee) #7

It seems to me that if we habitually ask ourselves “is this a respectful way of stating it?”, then we have a great chance of dodging disruptive language due to our initial posture. And if we strive to be respectful in general, then we don’t really have to worry about self-censoring or offending. Sure, there will be instances when the language is called into question, but those are simply an opportunity to grow and learn to implement even better word choices. Or, they are an opportunity for the community to explore what is and is not respectful in their midst.

(Christine White) #8

if we strive to be respectful in general, then we don’t really have to worry about self-censoring or offending. - great insight. Yes, words matter just as actions matter - they are another form of action. So, for me, I’d use the same simple guideline, the “golden rule” for words as I would for my actions: Do unto others as you’d have them do unto you. At worst, it should hopefully lead to a dialog of different perspectives and, ultimately, a better understanding of a contrary point of view.

(Nick Emmett) #9

I think there are some tie-ins here with the Values thread. For me personally, I kind if agree with @richard_millington but I caveat that with that the words I use are driven by the values that I hold in tandem with the situation they are being used in. As with many things (perhaps even everything) I believe that we automatically self-censor/adapt what we say to fit any given situation, depending on who. what, where and why we’re about to unleash the words we are. I don’t particularly worry too much about it though. With a professional hat on, it’s likely we need to be very mindful of the language we choose for those people that are representing their company’s brand and image out in the community. In Communities such as this one, it’s more about your own personal brand and the image you want people to have of you - your language needs to support you personally, whether you censor/adapt or not.