Spam Bots registering to site, but not spamming!

introductions
challenges

(Danielle Graph) #1

Hi All,
Wondering if you have any advice.
I manage a small chat forum, and have noticed, lately we are having a crazy amount of spam registrations to our site. They are not spamming the forum, so my question is, what is their purpose for signing up to the site?

I’m a little concerned that something malicious is happening under my nose, but don’t have the power to do anything about it - any insight as to why they spammers are registering?
Thanks
DG

(Richard Millington) #2

You might be assuming a little too much intelligence here.

Sometimes they manage to join ok but find themselves unable to spam due to various tech limitations.

Unless they’re blasting out private direct messages you can’t see, it’s probably not such an immediate problem - but certainly one that needs to be tackled. I’d look at registration processes though and sort it out. What forum software do you use?

(Danielle Graph) #3

Thanks Richard.
I’ll investigate the PMs again, but so far no untoward activity there.
We use Akismet for spam moderation, and also Stop Forum Spam for picking up IPs but they’re not blocking registrations. Maybe i’m reading too much into it…

(Kristen Gastaldo) #4

I get 5-10 of these accounts every day. Very rarely are they able to post anything, as almost all attempts are caught by our moderation filters.

BUT they do put trash websites in their profile fields - typical spam stuff - muscle building, skin care, etc.

It’s super annoying.

(Darren Gough) #5

Worst case might be something like a DDOS attack but that seems extreme and pointless for a small and niche community.

Are you noticing groups of IP ranges or specific throwaway emails? I’ve had some success in the past specifically banning those.

(Danielle Graph) #6

Thanks for the feedback - i’ve highlighted what’s happening to my superiors and tech guys, and the spam registrations are continuing to flow (100s per day!) but still nothing actually happening… So weird - i’m trying to make sense of a nonsensical situation!

(Travis King) #7

They’re probably just testing your defences. They have all the time in the world and nothing better to do.

(Darren Gough) #8

We need a spambot social club to keep them occupied :slight_smile: