What platform do you run your community on and what SPAM blocking features does it have?
I’ve been using Discourse and really like the comprehensive anti-SPAM features. I’ve listed as many as I know of below:
- Akismet official plugin should normally be used and is commonly provided by Discourse hosts: Discourse.org; DiscourseHosting.com …
- Stop Forum Spam third-party plugin
- Integrated review queue i.e. one place to review automated and manual flags
- Flags that moderators disagree with are not counted as spam
- Akismet reviews all new users and their posts
- Levenshtein distance check on user names e.g. compare against recent spammer list
- Block IP address range / Whitelist IP address range (using star or CIDR notation)
- Block domain
- Alert for same IP address for different users
- Keeps registration IP address and last IP address
- In robots.txt, block user profiles/badges from being crawled by spiders: partly to black hat SEO spammers target user profiles
- Staged users handled differently to other new users e.g. aren’t punished for being suspected but only if confirmed.
- Suspend suspected spammer: no login
- Block suspected spammer so no posting but private messages to staff allowed; not mentionable by other users
- Delete confirmed spammer and unassign posts
- Users can silence spammers
Topics and post checks
- Akismet reviews all new user posts
- Flag new user with super-fast typing
- Rate-limit new users: maximum topics on first day; rate per new topic; maximum images per post; maximum links per post; set edit grace period; block new user edits; etc.
- Hide posts flagged by TL3 users
- Delete confirmed spammer’s posts
- If running your own incoming email, block (and unblock) domains
- Create hidden posts for emails suspected to be SPAM
- Reminds users to set SPF and DKIM records for the domain
- Test emails link to http://www.mail-tester.com/
P.S. I’ll add features as I think of them
I use Telligent a lot. Out of the box it is good enough but in a B2B this is less prone by nature. Used akismet but it led to false positives.