Greetings...I'm Michael Sutton. I have been specifically working in higher education for over a decade, and have taught at Grand Canyon University, Kent State University, Boise State University, Salt Lake Community College, and Westminster College. Learners tell me that I bring a unique perspective to education because of my corporate experience combined with my passion for experiential teaching and learning.
In my 45 year corporate and educational career, I have provided innovative consulting services associated with Management Consulting, Gamification, Knowledge Management, Intellectual Capital, and Learning Organizations to a range of clients:
• Agricultural and AgriFood Canada,
• Atomic Energy Control Board and Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.,
• Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA),
• Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
• Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSE),
• Department of Foreign Affairs & International Trade (Canada),
• Employment and Immigration Canada,
• International Development Law Institute (IDLI),
• UN Department of Humanitarian Affairs,
• UN High Commission for Refugees,
• United Nations,
• US Agency for International Development (USAID),
• US Department of the Navy (DON).
You may wish to acquire more information about my background, education, and experience.
I am building online learning COPS within the architecture of Learning Management Systems (LMSs) and wikis. I also strive to build engagement and retention in my learner communities through gamification, serious gaming, simulations, and immersive learning environments.
My purpose is joining this Expert Group is to acquire additional knowledge about engagement techniques and learning strategies, and to contribute where I can based upon my background and experience over the last 30 years with very early COPs and COIs.
“What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello