So, what are you working on?

(Sarah Hawk) #379

Don’t apologise – your struggle sounds like a frustrating one and I know that there are others in similar situations. I admire your courage to share.

Have you done much reading about community theory? The key to getting it right is to get the concept right. You need to talk to your potential audience and find out what problem your community can solve for them. Generally, if people aren’t engaging it’s because you’re not offering them a solution to something that they consider a problem.

If you want a reading list to get you started, here is a good one:

https://www.feverbee.com/how-to-build-an-online-community/

(Sarah Hawk) #380

What an amazing concept.

Let’s take this discussion over to this topic so that it has focus.

(Lucas Miller) #381

HI all! My name is Lucas and just landed my first community manger position. What’s even more exciting is that I get to build the position from scratch, which is both wonderful and stressful as the stakes are high. I need to not only launch a full community later this quarter, but develop a strategic road map and measure value of the community over time.

Currently, I am working on developing a strategy to launch the community and I have the first few phases mapped out. I am using the Salesforce Community Cloud software and am already finding a ton of resources online. Does anyone have any tips for communicating what a community is to senior leaders of their companies?

I am presenting to my company’s leadership team next week! EEK!

(Sarah Hawk) #382

That’s cool – congrats!
And welcome – if there’s one thing have lots of around here it’s community managers, so you’ve come to the right place. :wink:

Wow, you have a lot on your plate! Are you able to share any details about the community?

Here are a few things that might help.

Other members using Salesforce CC
Building a strategy – there is a chapter in here about managing stakeholders
Measuring value

https://www.feverbee.com/stakeholders/

We’ve got your back!

(Sarah Hawk) #383

A post was split to a new topic: The process of launching a new community

(Nick Emmett) #384

Great news, congratulations, and welcome to Feverbee Experts, it’s great to hear from you.[quote=“lucasmiller3, post:381, topic:1328”]
I need to not only launch a full community later this quarter
[/quote]

What’s driving this fairly tight timescale?
I’m also a Salesforce user and thankfully, depending on the extent of customization you might need, building your community isn’t that difficult, I guess it depends on what features you want to utilise, what elements of your Salesforce org you want to expose etc. the Salesforce Community was a godsend for me over the last 6-8 months for technical advice and tips. Feel free to ping me with any questions (caveat: I’m by no means a technical guru but know my way around a bit now!).

Good luck with everything, lean on this group as hard as much as you need, there’s a TON of knowledge, experience and information in and around!
Be sure to let us know how you’re getting on!

(Lucas Miller) #385

Thanks Nick! The tight timescale is related to our product launch, and I am working with senior leaders to ensure feature/functionality roll out of the community coincides with the launch of our new product. My boss isn’t expecting a fully robust community, but she does want searchable help content.

My primary objective is to map out a strategy for the community, break up the strategy into concise phases from which I am developing some key milestones. Ultimately, we want the community to be a “self-service” portal for our clients. My hope is that with careful planning and roll-out, we can expand on that “self-service” and grow the community into something more robust and engaging. :slight_smile:

(Nick Emmett) #386

Sounds great @lucasmiller3 - we too have a “self-service” community, people have access to their support cases, our knowledge base, they can submit Ideas there access help and training etc as well as get engaged in the forums. It all can take time but definitely worth it.

Keep us updated on how you’re getting on, especially as you close in on launch and, like I say, feel free to reach out if I/we can help at all.

:slight_smile:

(Lucas Miller) #387

I will certainly keep you up to speed as things progress. I’m curious, when you think about your “self-service” community and its organization - how are your guiding users to the most relevant content for their search?

Currently, our knowledge articles are categorized by product feature. We have a robust training that all of our clients go through to learn how to use the product, but there are always questions afterwards.

How are your organizing your content to facilitate exploration of topics/learning? Do you have an on-boarding process to introduce new community members to that content organization or is it a free-for-all once the user logs in?

(Sarah Hawk) #388

A post was split to a new topic: Which metrics to demonstrate reduced support costs?

(Alessio Fattorini) #389

Any idea in order to increase that value?

(Sarah Hawk) #390

Hi Ale,
Do you mean tactics to increase regular daily visits?

(Alessio Fattorini) #391

Yeah, that’s the goal. Are you using something specific?

(Sarah Hawk) #392

Good question. I have one for you in return.

Do you think that your retention tactics in a support community will be the same as mine in a CoP? It’s something I’ve been thinking about a bit lately.

(Sarah Hawk) #393

2 posts were split to a new topic: Starting a brand new community? This topic is for you

(Sarah Hawk) #394

3 posts were split to a new topic: Engagement and induction frameworks

Engagement and induction frameworks
(Sarah Hawk) #395

A post was split to a new topic: What platform should we use? Alumni Community

(Logan Johnston) #396

I’m working on switching our members from a facebook group to a discourse community forum. community.outdoorsy.co. It’s brand spanking new! I’m trying to demonstrate internal value via developing KPIs, and I’d also like it to replace our FAQs and support customer service.

(Sarah Hawk) #397

Exciting times! Any particular challenges?

(Hilary Barrett) #398

Whoah… am I supposed to reply here at the top of the thread? I can’t seem to access the end of it at all. I hope someone can move this post if it’s in the wrong place. What am I missing, and where is the user manual?

What I’m working on: encouraging members who’ve joined the paid, private corner of my online community to participate and make the most of their membership, so they won’t feel the need to cancel. So far I’ve learned that most people who cancel do so in the first couple of months, so I’m concentrating on how I/we welcome them in and encourage them to make their first post.