So, what are you working on?

(Richard Millington) #354

Thanks Sarah, I was considering attending Saastock actually. Who recommended us? Always curious.

What platform(s) are you using? Would love to check it out.

(Lindsay Doebler) #355

Hi there! Just joined up, but I’ve been aware of this community for a little while.

I’m an American freelance writer/content manager who now lives in New Zealand. I’ve done some of my own “hobbyist” community management since I was a teenager - fandom forums, private game server administration, MMO community event stuff. Professionally most of my work has been social media management and blogging about small businesses and customer service.

I’m going to be working on a new project soon focused on in-depth articles related more to online communities, so I figured it would be a good time to join up and start talking to people here! I’m very excited to learn :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #356

So this is exciting for me. I’m in NZ too. Where are you based?

And welcome – it sounds like an exciting time for you. I look forward to hearing more about this project!

(Lindsay Doebler) #357

Thanks for the welcome! Always fun to find more NZers :smiley: I just moved to Dunedin, but I was in Gisborne the past few years (So I’ve gone from hot all the time to cold all the time!).

(Nick Emmett) #360

Hola!
Welcome to the Community here at Feverbee, great to hear from you! [quote=“ldoebs, post:355, topic:1328”]
I’m going to be working on a new project soon focused on in-depth articles related more to online communities, so I figured it would be a good time to join up and start talking to people here! I’m very excited to learn
[/quote]

No time like the present too right? I think you’ve definitely come to the right place, there’s a wealth of knowledge and experiences in this group so be sure to shout up if you have any questions along the way? Do you have anything pressing right now that we can help with? Or any thoughts around your goals for 2017? You could tell us about them here

(Lindsay Doebler) #361

Thanks for the warm welcome! No really pressing issues at the moment. Right now I’m working on an article on toxicity and problematic users and I’ve already found a few very helpful discussions and links here!

(Sarah Hawk) #362

Great – I’d love to read it when you’re finished, if you’re comfortable sharing.

(Kristen Abbas) #363

Wow - it has taken me a long time to get in and do this!

I’m Kristen Abbas, Senior Networks Curator at Vistage Worldwide, Inc. Our community is internal facing - networks that align our members, Chairs (coaches), speakers and staff around shared industries and topic affinities (family business, women in leadership, etc). We have 15 Networks with around 20% of our membership currently enrolled in at least 1 Network.

The program is about to finish its 2nd year and we are under new leadership - both a new executive leadership team and a new program director from where we started. I am the longest tenured staff person on the project, having come in to help build the program almost 3 years ago. The program is evolving, which is great, and I am challenged to provide leadership around where we could grow to, both in what is feasible, based on the life cycles of these types of communities and where our membership and leadership would want us to grow (in terms of what we could offer and sustain). In addition, I want to make sure that we are measuring our success and challenges in the appropriate way - not just around ROI, how we are affecting RRR and EBITDA, and whether or not the people who use this program have better retention…but really how we are measuring whether engagement in the program is providing value to the community.

(Sarah Hawk) #364

That’s all good – it’s great to finally hear from you Kristen. What platform/s do your program members use to interact?

(Sarah Hawk) #365

4 posts were split to a new topic: Clarification of metrics in Discourse

Clarification of metrics in Discourse
(Nick Emmett) #368

Welcome @kristenabbas - it’s great that you finally did!

(Sian White) #370

Hi @Nick_Emmett!

I work at Mencap, and the community is called FamilyHub. It’s doing so well for a such a new community, we are really chuffed. Still a few teething problems, but we’re getting there!

This is our first time developing and managing a community, so lots to learn, but it’s super fun!

(Nick Emmett) #371

Welcome @sianwhite - it’s great to hear from you, and good on you for setting up your community, which charity is it? There are quite a few others in here from a wide variety of charities across the world, I’m sure they’d love to hook up too.

Have you worked within communities previously?

(Nick Emmett) #372

Great to hear, and you’ve come to the right place - thee’s a ton of knowledge and experience in this group so be sure to ask any questions you have as they come up.
Good luck :slight_smile:

(Anne van Uden) #373

I’ve just started out as the community manager for an internal community. The community platform has just been launched as well, so since community management is new for the organization as well as for me, I’m navigating on how to start. What is the very first thing you would do as a community manager?

(Nick Emmett) #374

Hey @annevuden - welcome to Feverbee Experts, it’s great to hear from you. Congratulations on your new role and journey!

A good starting point for me is always to make sure you have a good understanding of your WHY? Why did your organisation decide to introduce an internal community? What value do you expect your employees/members to get out of it? How will it be integrated in to the way you do business? These and other questions are essential to have a sound understanding of in order to inform how you do the other stuff.

There’s a ton of knowledge and experience in here so be sure to get the most out of being a member here. Feel free to ask any questions you have, there’s no such thing as a daft one!

It’d be great to hear more about your plans, let us know how you’re getting on.

(Sarah Hawk) #375

Hi Anne – what a great opportunity.

I’d make sure that my understanding of the goal of my community is aligned with the understanding and expectations of stakeholders.

What platform are you using, and what challenges have you come up against so far?

(Charlotte Wall) #376

Hello. My name is Charlotte. I’ve just joined here having heard Richard on the One you Feed Podcast. I’m based in Cambridge UK and run a bootcamp / coaching / PT business. I’ve been running this business for 10 years. When I first started I was the only bootcamp in Cambridge and did it because I needed somewhere to work where I could take my then young son with me as I had no childcare. Little did I know at that time that it would kick off in the way it has. I used to use NING for my community which was brill years ago. Then facebook took over so I have my community groups on there despite a few of my clients not using FB.

BUSINESS :

I’ve found over the years that Bootcamps are now everywhere. Everything I’ve done has been copied and repeated meaning Cambridge is saturated. I know everyone now has their online community groups too. I’ve been feeling a bit washed out and following a difficult period of illness was forced not to work meaning the money dropped hugely (although bc was still running I had to pay others to take it for me)

I had an idea to create a free community on FB for all my clients that I’ve worked with over the years (plus any of the women who read my emails) The idea being that I could create something of value for free in the hope that I could write some stuff to sell online, down the line.

I do find on both my communities that women don’t really want to chat a lot. Only a couple get involved - this is even more true of the group that gets it as part of the BC package.

I found Richards podcast with Eric Zimmer really fascinating as I’ve always pondered on how to get people more involved within the community.

I do need some advice on business too as I would like to have the courage to stop the bootcamps (I’m getting older and the long, dark cold days are getting to me after 8 years!) My dream would be to take everything online. I just don’t know how to do it or how to make the communities chat.

I apologise for the long post ! I guess I’m here as I’m feeling a little lost and alone in this self employment land.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

(Sekai Farai) #377

Thanks for your welcome. I’m working towards putting together a strategy for building a new community of global “resilience” practitioners - those professionals who work to ensure resilience in the face of unexpected externalities (disastrous storms; pandemics; civil turmoil etc). I work with a private foundation that seeks to unite multiple practitioners within multiple settings (govt agencies; nonprofits; private sector) under a single concept of resilience. I’m trying to come up with some numbers around how much we can expect to grow membership each week; what engagement level is normal for a community of this type; and how to structure recruitment of members when functionality on the site is limited to consuming content and commenting on articles. Any ideas or data points would be appreciated!

Benchmarking Growth and Measuring Engagement
(Sarah Hawk) #378

A post was split to a new topic: Benchmarking Growth and Measuring Engagement