So, what are you working on?

(Donal McCarthy) #312

Hi Nick,

We are just beginning to build this. We are doing it internally on WordPress so as yet have nothing to share.

The Why is threefold:

• Lots of people already sign up for our content and many of them sign up repeatedly for various things - we think it will be a better experience for the repeat signer uppers to login instead of having to register multiple times
  • We think we will be able to use the Resource Center to better funnel leads to our product offers (but we will be very happy to have lots of members who never become customers)
  • Our existing customer community is hosted on another domain and does not offer a great experience. We want to migrate it to our main website and make it more compelling

We have had a few communities, before but they lacked the volume to really call them communities. What we are really doing here initially is building two resource centers (prospects/customers) that we hope will organically (with our help) grow into communities, but if they don’t, we think users will still find them useful.

We are just starting to sketch the join process and I will be back with some questions in the future!

Thanks,
Donal

(Sarah Hawk) #313

Hey @Donal_McCarthy – your situation does indeed sound a lot like ours.

[quote=“Donal_McCarthy, post:312, topic:1328”]
We are doing it internally on WordPress so as yet have nothing to share.
[/quote] What platform do you plan to use for the community? Buddypress?

(Nick Emmett) #314

Thanks for the reply @Donal_McCarthy, this point interested me…

Where was your lack of volume? Was it in members, active members, contributions? I guess it poses the question, is there a benchmark in numbers that suggests we now have a community? I think the answer is no - a group of people that chat and congregate together at a unified place is still a company whether it’s 5 people or 500 - right? Or was it more to do with your business/organisational goals?

I’m interested in your thoughts here.

(KMcNiff) #316

Hey there. I’m an online community manager trying to figure out an integrated approach to social and branded community. My tech company has a presence on Twitter, Facebook and sizeable community on LinkedIn. We have a sad old forum too. We need a centralised branded community to tie all of this together (social, tech support, advocacy, peer-to-peer engagement, thought leadership). You know. All the things.

(Sarah Hawk) #317

Hey there,
Welcome!

Have you started to dig into your needs at all yet? Any thoughts on platform?

Any challenges that we could help brainstorm?

(KMcNiff) #318

Thanks Sarah. The business is looking at Salesforce as a CRM/Support/Community solution - any experience with that? Also we eventually want the community to be a place where people can upload their work to share with others. Right now I’m trying to come up with a Community Engagement Strategy (that includes social) - any advice, templates, examples would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

(Darren Gough) #319

Hi @kmcniff. Just looping my colleague @Todd_Nilson into this. He has a background in both platforms and tech companies so might have a thought or two.

(Todd Nilson) #320

Hi @kmcniff, as @Darren_Gough mentioned I have some background in Salesforce CRM/Support/Community Cloud. How can I help?

(Sarah Hawk) #321

This might be a useful topic for you: Getting the most out of Salesforce Community Cloud

Can you clarify what you’re trying to achieve with this, and who it relates to? We can definitely help, but people use strategy terminology differently so it might be easier to start with your goals.

(KMcNiff) #322

Great thanks I’ll take a look at that topic. Also love your personalized on-boarding!
So far our community has grown organically - and now we want to put some “strategy” around it - if that makes sense. What are we trying to achieve with each of our social platforms and how can we improve engagement?Should we decommission our old forum and replace it with something better - and what are the requirements for this? I want to capture all this in some type of strategy document so that the business understands how online community works in our organization. Does this sound like a typical approach or is there a better way?

(Sarah Hawk) #323

This sounds like the right approach, although I wouldn’t say it’s typical (yet).

We’re launching a suite of resources (some free, some paid) later this week which should give you direction. I’ll ping you when they’re good to go.

In the mean time, most of @richard_millington’s latest content on the blog should get you started.
https://www.feverbee.com/audience-matrix/
https://www.feverbee.com/improvement/

(KMcNiff) #324

Hi @Todd_Nilson and thanks @Darren_Gough - the business is looking at Salesforce as a CRM solution and I’m interested in the community features. How have you found the setup, learning curve, features? Does it compare favourably with other solutions like Get Satisfaction or Lithium? Do you know any implementations that are good examples of Salesforce Community that I could take a look at? Thanks for your help!

(Nick Emmett) #325

Hey @kmcniff, welcome to the Community here, it’s great to hear from you.
We use Salesforce here at FinancialForce and our Community is built on the Community Cloud platform. It can be both fairly easy to configure and very complex and customized dependent on what your needs are. My main point for you to consider is that if your organisation move to Salesforce as the CRM, for me it is essential that you stay on platform with your Community - the integration is just so much easier and data so much more accessible and useable. There’s lots of development work going on to the product at the minute and the templates are improving in leaps and bounds every release. Happy to answer any questions I can if you pm me, but also we have @cocastro in the Community who might be able to give you some pointers.

(KMcNiff) #326

Thanks Nick - that’s great advice. What sort of expertise is required for customization? Would I need SalesForce consultants or maybe in-house IT experts?

(Nick Emmett) #327

I think it depends on what level and how deep you want your customisation to be - strictly speaking you could likely build a community based on the out of the box templates without any. If you do need to customization anything then you would need people that are able to build what you want, which likely need the ability to create a Lightning component (a salesforce thing) and be able write the necessary code to do that. The main custom work I’ve had done relates mainly to the search indexing platform that we use, I need them to do some custom work for me - everything else I pretty much did myself with the templates.

(StrawberryTech) #328

Working on transitioning off our longtime Ning site, and ideally creating it in a way that I can combine public/private content, into one site. Looking for great reviews on latest awesome platforms and how much their makers are trusted to stay up to date…

(Sarah Hawk) #329

Welcome!

Aside from requiring private spaces, do you have other specific needs?
What would be your primary feature list?
And budget-wise, are you considering enterprise level, or more reasonably priced SaaS options?

This might be a useful starting point for you.

(Tony Reeves) #330

Hey all, it’s great to be here amongst so much knowledge and expertise. I’m currently working on trying to build a community for a small customer experience consultancy who are in the middle of pivoting their business. They need a much clearer understanding of who their customers are, what they want, and how to engage with them.

I’ve greatly enjoyed and benefited from much of the content that Feverbee have generously given away over the last few years. So much so that I felt compelled to sign up for the SCM course to give something back! So really looking forward to learning some good tips for being more strategic and focusing on what actually works, rather than what I like doing…

:slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #331

Great to hear from you Tony. Thanks for your kind words!

You might find @jesswlms’s post on using personas in community useful.

(Dave Charbonneau) #332

An UPDATE and a QUESTION:

**Update:**Hi, @HAWK and everyone!

I started building a community thinking I would market my services to those within the community as I grew the numbers. I’m reversing my initial concept in that I’m now marketing my services, and using the community as a “net” to catch those who are not ready to buy my services. This helps me focus on dollars that I need in order to have a business, while still building the Community and interacting with other enterprisers (something I enjoy and learn from). There are some other advantages, too. such as separating me from my potential customers just a tad. If members feel like I’m just a guy working my business just like they are (and I am), then it seems it may be more difficult for them to BUY something from me. People seem to want someone to look up to, not look over at, when it comes to the decision to make a purchase. A few exceptions, of course.

Anyhow, my update (^) actually leads me to my question.

Question:
What are your thoughts on LIMITING communities in size? Or, trimming back on those who aren’t actively participating?

I’m not liking the idea of giving the boot to those who don’t participate, but I’m curious if others have done this and how it worked out.

Some context: I’ve followed FeverBee’s suggestion to start slow. I really had no choice looking at both my budget and my contact list, but I’m also not doing contests and other things to grow my community on Facebook. We’re around 70 members. Communications seem to come in waves from week to week, and when it’s there, it seems to be quality communication (a business community, quality meaning, people are asking questions, answering, providing resources; not simply there to self-promote. That’s a win in a Facebook Community).

In interacting in other Facebook groups, I’m finding I’m really liking the groups of 50 to 500 as far as communication goes. It’s more like hanging out at Cheers (Norm!) rather than Costco.

Anyhow, I’m playing with the idea of keeping a more exclusive group rather than “just another Facebook group” by keeping things small, looking for those who interact. However, I realize some people may be voyeurs for months (or longer) before getting involved.

Any thoughts on this?