So, what are you working on?

(Sarah Hawk) split this topic #388

A post was split to a new topic: Which metrics to demonstrate reduced support costs?

(Alessio Fattorini) #389

Any idea in order to increase that value?

(Sarah Hawk) #390

Hi Ale,
Do you mean tactics to increase regular daily visits?

(Alessio Fattorini) #391

Yeah, that’s the goal. Are you using something specific?

(Sarah Hawk) #392

Good question. I have one for you in return.

Do you think that your retention tactics in a support community will be the same as mine in a CoP? It’s something I’ve been thinking about a bit lately.

(Sarah Hawk) split this topic #393

2 posts were split to a new topic: Starting a brand new community? This topic is for you

(Sarah Hawk) split this topic #394

3 posts were split to a new topic: Engagement and induction frameworks

Engagement and induction frameworks
(Sarah Hawk) split this topic #395

A post was split to a new topic: What platform should we use? Alumni Community

(Logan Johnston) #396

I’m working on switching our members from a facebook group to a discourse community forum. community.outdoorsy.co. It’s brand spanking new! I’m trying to demonstrate internal value via developing KPIs, and I’d also like it to replace our FAQs and support customer service.

(Sarah Hawk) #397

Exciting times! Any particular challenges?

(Hilary Barrett) #398

Whoah… am I supposed to reply here at the top of the thread? I can’t seem to access the end of it at all. I hope someone can move this post if it’s in the wrong place. What am I missing, and where is the user manual?

What I’m working on: encouraging members who’ve joined the paid, private corner of my online community to participate and make the most of their membership, so they won’t feel the need to cancel. So far I’ve learned that most people who cancel do so in the first couple of months, so I’m concentrating on how I/we welcome them in and encourage them to make their first post.

(Nick Emmett) #399

Hey @hilary - welcome to Feverbee Experts, it’s great to hear from you !

It’s a while since I’ve come in to a thread as a newcomer so not sure how it appears but you certainly found the right place to reply! lol

it sounds like your community has a free and a paid area - if I’ve got that right, what would you say the differences are? And what sort of value are you hoping those members will find?

Sounds like a good starting point - be sure to give some thought around how you will keep them when they do make their first post - how are you going to build their self esteem, sense of worth etc that will make them want to come back and do it again?

there’s also a conversation just opened up here about paid communities that I’m sure you might have value to add, you can check it out here

Great to have you here , I look forward to learning more about you and how we can help.
:slight_smile:

(Hilary Barrett) #400

[quote=“Nick_Emmett, post:399, topic:1328, full:true”]

it sounds like your community has a free and a paid area - if I’ve got that right, what would you say the differences are? And what sort of value are you hoping those members will find?[/quote]
Good questions, thank you.

The paid area has…

• private forums (Google-proof)
  • access to a user-created Wiki
  • a ‘Foundations Course’ sold separately, with a support forum
  • me - that is, I’m there answering threads, but hardly ever show up in the free forums
  • the chance to book 30 minute 1-on-1 chat with me

The value… both the learning, hence getting greater confidence in doing this work for yourself, and also more personal help: more in-depth, longer-term, more private.

Another good point. So far I’ve started a spreadsheet to keep track of who posts what, so I can email people and encourage them to make both first and second post. I know that doesn’t answer the ‘how’ question…

Interesting that you say ‘build their sense of worth’ to make them want to come back and post again. Is that more important than, say, ensuring the answer they get is genuinely helpful?

(Piper_Wilson) #401

I have less experience than most people here so please keep in mind that I’m speaking mainly from instinct. I would say that the two go hand in hand. It seems to me that you can encourage the folks that make helpful posts and that will help build their self worth.

Question: How would you ensure that the answers are genuinely helpful?

(Nick Emmett) #402

Sounds like you have a great plan in place - I forgot to ask before - what industry is your Community based in, and who are your members made up of?

I wouldn’t say it’s more important, and I’d consider the word interchangeable with “value”… letting people know that they’re adding value will hopefully lead to them keeping on coming back to try add more, making them feel good about themselves, that they belong there and that they’re a part of something.

(Sarah Hawk) #403

You did it right. :slight_smile: I’ve PM’d you a tip sheet.

This sounds like an interesting model. We did something similar here for a while. I’d be keen to hear more about your community.

(Hilary Barrett) #404

Actually I don’t need to worry about this particularly. I have a core of members who give really good answers, and I’m also active there myself so they don’t have to start feeling like unpaid labour. I was just curious that ‘sense of worth’ was the first suggestion.

(Hilary Barrett) #405

[quote=“Nick_Emmett, post:402, topic:1328, full:true”]
Sounds like you have a great plan in place - I forgot to ask before - what industry is your Community based in, and who are your members made up of?

Got it.

The community is here:
https://www.onlineClarity.co.uk/friends/

• the posts you can see are in the free part. This is the I Ching Community; the I Ching is the ancient Chinese oracle of change. Probably 80% of activity is people helping one another understand their readings from the oracle and the remaining 20% is more general discussion. The people are international, all ages, and… well… the kind of people who will take an oracle seriously.

(Hilary Barrett) #406

Thank you. I must hunt around and see if there is a ‘multiquote’ function hiding somewhere, as this is getting ridiculous. I tried the highlight-and-quote thing that the automatic system is now helpfully suggesting, but it didn’t put several quotes in one post, just overwrote the first quote I picked up with the second. Time to look at that tip sheet… :blush:

(Robert McIntosh) #407

there is

and you found it

and that’s odd - as I just tested it and it seems to work fine here - could be a browser issue.

If you highlight the first quote, click “Quote” it then pastes the code into the comment box. A second highlight and quote pastes a separate snippet of code.

Hope that helps, and good luck - all I know of I Ching comes from The Man in the High Castle (the book, naturally)