So, what are you working on? Part 1

I’ve got a new Slack based Online Music Community called beats1.slack.com - you can sign up here, if you’re into music: http://bit.ly/Beats1Slack. You can also read an article (that could use editing) on my website: http://bit.ly/inyc-beats1-p1.

I’m a software developer at Speakaboos - I’m on the mobile app team. I do Beats1 on the side for fun.

I use HootSuite to promote my work, publishing to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+. It’s got analytics built in, and I use BIT.LY for URL shortening and link tracking. Also, analytics.twitter.com is very informative, and I’ve been able to do some paid campaigns - $50 got me thousands of impressions, and quite a few clicks.

You can find me on Twitter at @interactivenyc, and there’s more contact info on my website: Interactive NYC (dot com). Looking forward to entering the discussions here!

1 Like

How are you finding Slack as a platform, Steve?

Hi Sarah,

After running our company’s social media activities for five years, I have recently been given the task to explore the possibilities to set up a community for the users of our products. That is why I have started following Feverbee’s activities and joined this community. Hoping to learn something!

Rgds, Hans

I just joined the Feverbee community this week, as I’ve been looking for resources regarding Champion/Advocacy programs. Hawk prompted me to post :smiley: Last month I signed up for Sprint in San Francisco—I’m excited to build up my psychology knowledge and meet people that post here. I’ve also taken the Feverbee courses as they were adapted for Get Satisfaction, which is the platform we use for our community.

Anyway, I’ve been a community manager for Jama Software for approximately seven months. Prior to that I was a Tier 1 support engineer, and between support tickets I did a lot of work creating our internal and external documentation process, as well as searching for a new user forum. We had been using the Zendesk forums and wanted something better, and that forum search turned into the realization that what we actually needed/wanted to create was a support community so our users could help each other. A few months later I became the Support Community Manager and implemented the new platform and strategy. We launched publicly in March, and things have been going reasonably well. The greatest challenge is that Jama is a B2B business tool—so what intrinsically motivates people to participate in the community?

That all said, “what I am working on right now” is building a Champions program for the community. Our Marketing team recently shifted from spending all the dollars on prospects to doing more customer-focused marketing, so I get to work with that team on this initiative (which is great, because Marketing has budget and Support doesn’t!). Today we’ll be discussing their advocacy program and how it might fit, or not fit, with the support community. Champions of a community might not be the same as customer advocates. I’m reading all I can about these topics, and any input or advice from folks who have been down that road is appreciated.

That’s fantastic. Do you have a focussed concept for the community yet? Will it be a support community?

[quote=“Kristinaking, post:38, topic:675”]
I’ve been looking for resources regarding Champion/Advocacy programs.
[/quote] Great! That’s something that we’ve been about talking here. @rebeccabraglio will likely have some good advice for you.

This document might be of some use to you: the_ultimate_guide_to_rewarding_community_members.pdf (43.1 KB)

SitePoint have recently launched an ambassador program. I’ll have a chat to them and see what the key lessons that they leaned are.

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me join this forum!
Right now I am working on the developing the online communities based on Facebook-groups for the Danish Concussion Association.
It is amazing what online communities can do for people suffering from long term concussion (Post Concussion Syndrome). Many of the communities have now reached “Maturity”, so now I am working on these:

1. Volunteers. Recruiting, supporting, motivating and training.
  2. Theoretical foundations. Research about community building and related social psychological theories.
  3. Synergy. Between the online community and the rest of the organisation.
  4. Segmentation. Preparing the ground for new subgroups.
  5. Networking. Identifying external partners and donors.

The first four points are progressing steadily. The two most urgent challenges at the moment is related to the 5th point.

1. Knowledge. How to create the best balance between research based and experiential knowledge .
  2. The right partners. How to find the right European partners for an Erasmus+ project about online health communities.

More generally, I am just really interested to learn more about other online communities, their challenges and solutions.

1 Like

Welcome Nicolai!
I’m delighted that you joined the Feverbee forum.

In my opinion, patients sharing their disease experience and management of chronic conditions is shifting the paradigm of health care and positively influencing the lens that researchers use to investigate. Evidence-based medicine and care will not be dethroned, but rather enhanced through wider inclusion of patients’ experiences.

While many of the discussions here are not health community specific, I find it a worthy exercise to translate online community experiences from other sectors back into the health fora. The principles are the same regardless of sector.

Nicolai, you should also meet @Jurgen_Derlath.

Hav det godt
Colleen

2 Likes

Thanks for the links. To further complicate things, the Marketing department here is working on an advocate program “for marketing collateral” and I’m struggling with how those things will be clearly delineated.

The ultimate goal is to have a support community for the users of the products that we produce.

What am I working on? Right now, I am involved in the Marketing Department in a small clothing printing startup, Printsome. Being in a startup gives us the freedom to try different things to bring in more visits and leads. Some work, some don’t. But would love to hear some tips and ideas!

Brilliant. If you come up against roadblocks, let us know and we’ll troubleshoot with you.

Sounds like an enviable position to be in @lucaprintsome!
Tell us a bit more about the community. What platform are you on? Is it a support community?

Hi all,

I run an online travel guide to the silk road called caravanistan. I added a forum about a year ago and saw it as a good way to not have to reply to the same questions over and over, but Rich made me see more possibilities when he joined when he was traveling here. I am not a natural fit as a community manager, more of an introvert, so it is an interesting challenge and i am eager to learn more about online and offline communities.

Steven

Welcome on board @Caravanistan – you have one of my all time favourite community names.

That’s a really interesting observation. What are your thoughts on this article (which is fairly old, but still valid)?

1 Like

I’m not sure that I think introverts don’t become naturally good at this. I would say I’m naturally introverted and shy, however I forced myself into becoming a great trainer for a long time and am now doing alright (I believe) at community management.
If anything the CM role lends itself more to my introvert side more than standing in front of a room full of people and speaking to them ever did.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome, @HAWK.

The internet gives introverts opportunities to find friends and communicate that real life does not. It was like that for me when I was a shy teenager and university student, and still, a lot of people I meet wrote me an e-mail first, or we followed each other on Twitter.

But becoming less introverted, in my case, did not happen because of the internet. I did it, by pushing my boundaries, going traveling, etc. I could have just stayed behind the computer. So I don’t think the internet does either, although it does give opportunities to the socially handicapped (and the physically handicapped!).

I agree with you @Nick_Emmett, introverts are generally good active listeners, an excellent skill to possess for this type of job.

1 Like

I think it’s really awesome! Have you used it yet for online communities?

1 Like

Not formally. I’m part of a remote team that are planning a conference, and we use Slack as our communication platform, so in some ways I guess you could say yes.

What are the main pluses and minuses that you’re finding?

1 Like

Sorry for the brief previous reply - I’ve been super busy with work, raising a family with kids on summer break, and personal projects. It’s 3am EST, and I find myself up in the middle of the night again, working. My sleep habits have been weird lately.

i love Slack. The company I work for, Speakaboos has remote teams in various locations. Previously, we used Skype as our main communications hub. It was great too, and allowed us to chat in various ways - group chats for team discussions, private chat for “pair programming” and other types of one-on-one interactions, video chat for our “standup” meetings (an agile programming thing), and one of my favorite features - screen sharing. Screen sharing has all kinds of great uses - giving a presentation to a group, or again - pair programming, when two developers needed to be looking at code together.

I discovered Slack about 6 months ago. It had one killer feature right off the bat that Skype didn’t have - the ability to paste graphics into the chat stream. We do a lot of design related things, so pasting screenshots directly into the chat was something I had always wanted to do with Skype. Honestly, if Skype had that feature, we probably wouldn’t have changed platforms so suddenly. Skype had a lot of traction with us, and moving everybody over to Slack took some effort. But we did it, and never looked back.

Besides pasting graphics into the chat stream, you can paste other types of links into the stream as well. Pasting a URL did the same sort of thing you see in Facebook, where it does its best to paste a little summary with a representative graphic. Pasting a YouTube link, pastes the actual video you can play without going to a browser - the video plays right there, in the chat stream.

Slack was free, and easy to set up. The switchover was pretty painless. As I got into Slack, being the administrator of the software, I started learning about its other features - integrations are like plug-ins - Slack is extendable to do all sorts of other neat things. Recently I’ve discovered that people are using Slack, not just for business communications but also developing online communities. I joined an IOS Developer Slack team, a Music team, a Guitar Talk team, and others. I created two of my own - one for Apple Music fans, and one for Audiobook and Podcast fans.

I could go on, singing the praises of Slack, but like I said - I’m pretty busy, and need to get to my ToDo list. Do yourself a favor and check out the Slack List - http://slacklist.info. Find a couple of topics you’re interested in, and join them. Some groups are still new, without a lot of engagement, but some are really booming! Let me know what your experience is like.

1 Like