Site settings too restrictive

(tophee) #1

Here I am, just signed up and already complaining :wink: Well, I just thought I’d share this new user experience as I would highly appreciate it this kind of feedback on my own forum. So here are my thoughts:

1. I signed up with Google which means I can’t choose my username. So I went to preferences to change it but apparently I can’t do that as a new user. Bummer, but I’ll wait. As a discourse admin I know that I will probably be on TL1 in no time.
  2. Saw the post about member directory and platform directory so checked out the latter and wanted to add myself but then realised that this doesnt make much sense at this point since I intend to change my username as soon as I can.
  3. In the meantime, I thought, why dont I add feverbee to my discourse android app. But again: I don’t have the right to do so at my trust level.

All those restrictions are starting to get annoying and I will certainly check the settings on my own site to make sure my new users wont experience the same. Have you changed any of the default settings?

Disclaimer: yes, I am probably something of a power user, but you might expect sone of those on this forum, I suppose.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey there,
Thanks for the feedback – I appreciate it.

You actually can’t even do it then. :frowning: This is a technical restriction which occurs due to our SSO with WordPress. I can do it for you though – PM me the details.

I should probably communicate this more clearly somewhere because it’s obvious ambiguous.[quote=“christoph_haug, post:1, topic:6069”]
I don’t have the right to do so at my trust level
[/quote]

Hmmm. I don’t know anything about this. Do you know where the setting is? I can’t see it under TLs.

Yes, many. Mostly for the kinds of reasons you mention above. The level of behaviour and trust in this community is high so I don’t feel that it needs to be locked down like others I’ve managed in the past.