Share your community launch promo/marketing plan

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #1

Hi FeverBee Crew,

We are at the stage of planning our official launch (yay)! Hearing First is a newish company with limited brand awareness. Our goal is to launch a community of practice in September.

Promotion Audience: We have a subscriber list & Founding Members who we will promote the launch to and are detailing other promotion ideas.

Approach: Our goal is to stay away from a big launch, but we still want to use our resources well. Thus far, social media paid promotion, a few blog posts, and inclusion in our newsletter are listed.

Questions: Are we missing any big buckets? Do any of you have your community launch and promotion plans you would be willing to share? Once we have ours done, I’ll be sure to post.

Thanks!
Katie

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey Katie,
Exciting times!

Do you already have a beta group using the community?

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #3

Hi @HAWK! We have a group teed up to be added to the community. Todd and I are working on our conversation planning, too.

(outofthebox) #4

Hi @Katie_Paffhouse_Buss, one idea I’ve been considering is how to deal with the chicken-and-egg problem of getting a community off the ground.

To have a great community, you need interesting conversations. To have interesting conversations, you need people. To have people, you need interesting conversations (or something).

One idea came from this article: http://a16z.com/2016/03/07/all-about-network-effects/

People come for the tool, stay for the community. What’s the “single-player” mode for your community of practice? Is there some value that someone can get out of your community even if no one else is there? If you provide this single player mode for enough people, perhaps they’ll stick around long enough to start talking to each other, leading to a great multi-player mode.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

I like this. I imagine for most CoPs, content is the value.

The chicken-and-egg dilemma that you mention is the reason we preach the value of the founding member group. The theory being that those people act as a mini-community that models behaviour for the wider group.

So strong content strategy + cohesive founding member group = a solid launch platform.

(Jennifer Filla) #6

The community I am now launching is a Community of Practice. I’ve been creating content for eight years now but didn’t put it together in a meaningful way until I launched a new company. It felt like my free content was getting cluttered and difficult to use. The industry association did a survey around this time and the members clearly want better ways to connect. I thought I would try a “soft” launch. Handing out postcards at an event where I presented a few sessions and announcing to my email list and in social media. The home page has a big notice too.

Had I started with a hand-picked “founder” group I can see where I would not now be struggling with too many eager people at once. I’m still squashing bugs (errors on pages etc) and members want attention. And I would have known right away that discussion forums should have been in place before it was promoted. It’s feeling a bit chilly in the middle of the pool where I jumped, but I’ll warm up soon!

(Nikoletta Harrold) #7

Hi guys, I am not sure if you consider this thread closed or not. I am just brainstorming an intergrated marketing plan for launching a new support community at my new company. I made this mind map. I would love some feedback and ideas, what did I miss, what would you do differently. Think Major Fortune 100 company with millions of customers on a B2C level. Launching our first community to raise customer satisfaction and support levels and provide a better brand awareness.

Community Launch Mind Chart.pdf (69.0 KB)

What is your position on bumping old topics?
What is your position on bumping old topics?
(Sarah Hawk) #8

A post was merged into an existing topic: What is your position on bumping old topics?

(Sarah Hawk) #9

What is your timeframe for execution on this, Nik? Are you launching to a small beta group first?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #10

unsure, we would probably do a beta launch but it would be small and not official. This is for a large audience and timeline is fluid, the community is not built yet, so i am just pre-planning

(Sarah Hawk) #11

My only red flag was around avoiding a big launch, but if this is a drip fed campaign then this looks pretty comprehensive to me.

I’ve never launched a community on this scale though, so I’d be very keen to hear from others that have.

(Richard Millington) #12

@Nikoletta_Harrold alway great to see a plan.

It looks interesting. It’s a lot of different activities though.

I’d love to get a sense of:

1. Who is the target audience?
  2. How will you reach the target audience?
  3. What will you tell the target audience?
  4. Does the target audience already know who you are? Do they trust you?
  5. What is the concept of the community, what makes it unique from any other community out there?
  6. If you could only pick 3 of the ideas here and execute them really well, what would they be?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #13

Let me try and address your questions without giving away the company.

Do these answers help?

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #14

I Love the mind map and brainstorming. If anything, I’d keep adding to it as you think of ideas. To @richard_millington’s question, the tough spot will be what do you focus on? In the past, I prioritized what had the greatest reach with the greatest influencers. After some experience, I’d stay that course but also add in some emotional angles. For instance, the scientists had a fair amount of younger members - how could I have best messaged them to feel prepared and also like they need to flaunt their knowledge (while being humble)? For your audience, it sounds like celebrating successes and caring are key. To me that feels like more of a focus on nurture emails, road shows and user groups to build a human side. Hope this helps!

(Nikoletta Harrold) #15

That’s awesome Katie, thanks. I willlook I to the emotional angle! What would you add to it? I would love to expand the mind map!