Send me your favourite community digest designs

(Colleen Young) #1

We’re in the process of redesigning our daily/weekly digests. What digest functionality and design examples would you submit as great digest design? Samples please.

Any tips for newsletter design & best practice?
(Sarah Hawk) #2

I really like this one from a client of ours. Their community is on Vanilla, and although I don’t believe this is technically a digest (in that I don’t think it’s system generated), I like the format, the tone, and the clear CTA.

And below is what the Discourse ones look like (you probably get them yourself). There some flexibility around settings, but not design.

Discourse Digest Email.pdf (95.4 KB)

(Colleen Young) #3

Thanks @HAWK. I actually don’t get the FeverBee digests. I am signed up for to receive a weekly digest, but thought perhaps you decided not to use them.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

If you’ve been active on the site during that time period, you don’t get sent one. If you don’t visit for over a week you definitely should.

Would you like me to forward you one?

(Colleen Young) #5

Does active include logging on and reading?
Yes, please forward me one.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Not reading, but logging on, yes. Forwarding now.

(Darren Gough) #7

@colleenyoung I’ve always found the Quora digests to be compelling. I don’t think I’ve ever received one where there hasn’t been something weird, wonderful or divisive that hasn’t made me click.

Pocket also do a good job (not technically a community digest but worth looking at in terms of the formatting and presentation). Don’t think I have either in my inbox right now to grab so might be worth signing up to get a couple of versions.

(Mark Baldwin) #8

The realbuzz.com running digests always has something on there that makes me click, sometimes multiple times. In fact, now I think about it, I never go to the website unless it’s through the email digest.

(Shreyas) #9

I couldn’t agree more! Quora does a really good job with email digests. You might want to check out http://reallygoodemails.com/newsletter/ for some inspiration.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Do you think that is the digest being well designed, or the fact that people use clickbait titles for their posts?

(Darren Gough) #11

I think “clickbait” has become a meaningless term, in the same way as people use “bullying” online to cover everything from genuinely nasty abuse to “they didn’t agree with me”

In the purest sense, I guess clickbait is “You won’t believe these top 10 martian pictures, number 7 blew our minds” or whatever, but it’s a fine line between that and creating appealing titles that draw people in.

So back to your question on Quora, @HAWK, the questions I see in the digest are usually appealing enough to want to read, but pass my internal spam test (whatever that is!) :slight_smile: Either way they drive me to the pages, and I usually enjoy the answers so I guess it works :slight_smile:

(Mark Baldwin) #12

Something I seem to remember from the last sprint in the talk by Nathalie Nahai was that it’s only clickbait if you don’t deliver exactly what the headline says. I’m with @Darren_Gough here in that I think I can tell if something is trying to bait me and if the article delivers, I will keep going back. Nothing wrong with making claims in the title as long as you deliver the content.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

You both make a valid point.

I guess my question then should be, is it the digest or the curation of topics that you like?

(Sarah Hawk) #14

Updating this topic for future posterity: Discourse now allows custom HTML to be inserted into digest so they can be styled with ads, banners, CTAs etc. I’m going to work on ours when I get a chance and see what’s possible.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Updating this topic again to show some more recent examples.

http://newsletters.experia.com.au/t/ViewEmail/r/886BEA28F92BA2C92540EF23F30FEDED

http://newsletters.experia.com.au/t/ViewEmail/r/93437AE41D4DDE582540EF23F30FEDED

(Mark Williams) #16

Those are nice. Are they autogen’d or crafted by email artisans?

(Sarah Hawk) #17

We make them ourselves using templates we’ve built in CampaignMonitor. Makes it pretty simple.

Edit: Actually yeah, these aren’t digests in that regard, are they. They’re newsletters.