Segmenting in Facebook Groups

challenges

(Justina Fenberg) #1

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but I’ve been following the Feverbee blog for a couple of months now.

I’m new to Community Management (about 6 months in), and admin a learning group in Facebook for the company I work for. We have about 12K FB members, and the group is closed (it’s a benefit of the subscription platform we offer).

I was reading a Feverbee email today about segmenting large communities. The opening says:

"I’m often surprised by people who run large, mature, communities and haven’t segmented their membership in any meaningful way.

"They still treat their communities as one massive lump of people.

"They ask all their members to do the same thing at the same time regardless of how long someone has been a member or how active they have been.

"In The Indispensable Community, I noted the reason most people don’t participate in your community is they’re simply not able to.

“A solution to this is to properly segment your members and develop a series of emails, unique weekly messages, and on-site calls to action (CTAs) they will receive.”

I was struck by the fact that I haven’t really considered whether there was a need to segment our group. Obviously being on Facebook (for about 4 years) we’re limited to what we can do within the confines of a platform that’s not ours. I know there are FB Messenger chat rooms now, but I’m wary of those. As I mentioned, we’re a learning group, so sharing information that everyone can learn from, and where more seasoned members can build authority and provide their knowledge helps everyone (it’s symbiotic), so I don’t want to create a barrier for members.

I have a new member onboarding Unit (for anyone not familiar, a Unit on FB is basically a cluster of modules about a topic), and do a weekly welcome post to encourage new member to introduce themselves, and for our existing member to greet them.

We have a second tier private FB group already, as part of our highest level subscription plan. So that’s one way we’re already segmenting.

Facebook has it’s own tagging system (though it’s limited in my group to Conversation Starter, New Member, and Top Contributors). I could pull those names, search our data base for their email, and message those clusters. What do you think?

I guess what I’m wondering is if I should look for more ways to create segments, or chalk it up to something that doesn’t necessarily work in our community.

Thank you for your input!