[Research] Community vs Discussions

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’ve been running an A/B test on our platform for a while now to see whether ‘Discussions’ or ‘Community’ as a navigation item is more likely to make people click through. ‘Community’ is more than twice as likely to convert (in the graph below C=Discussions V1=Community and the left axis is conversions).

The only confusing aspect on our site is that perhaps the term ‘Community’ is slightly ambiguous.

Does anyone else have the ability to A/B test their navigation items? I’m interested to know if my findings are consistent with others.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

Do they click and bounce, or click and stick (read)?

I’m afraid that optimising for click is the wrong thing to do here; you’d probably want to optimise for time-on-site or registrations. Tad more difficult, but most A/B tools support goals.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I’ve only recently launched a conversion tracking test so will keep you updated.

I should clarify that I’m not currently using this data to optimise – I actually did it out of curiosity after a discussion with Rich about which word would be the most likely to convert, but your point is valid.

(Richard Millington) #4

Would be good to add the % on the Y axis there for perspective.

Like @Bas_van_Leeuwen it’s important to see what works over the long-term.

You could also test a dozen different words here (i.e. ‘Experts’) and see what comes up.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Don’t the lines do that anyway?

Hmmm, Experts would actually be a really interesting one to test. On it.

(Richard Millington) #6

What do the lines represent? Is it 1% increments? 5% increments etc?

I’m curious to see the difference in conversion rates on this one.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

V1 has a 45% advantage.

Annoyingly I can track conversions on Discourse because it requires tracking snippets. Looking at other options.