During a webinar last week, the attendees had a side conversation about the pros and cons of being able to reply to a discussion thread directly from the email notification and bypassing the need to go to the community. Here are some of the comments.
- I prefer to be in the community, roaming, exploring, discovering, searching, interacting, and not limiting my vision to what comes in via email. So I don't reply via email.
- I much prefer replying via email. Much faster.
- I often prefer to respond through the app instead of email, especially if I want to find a specific discussion. It can be difficult sifting through emails and finding the right thread.
- I like to see exactly where my message is being posted. I don't particularly feel engaged with the community via email. I do agree with ease of use however.
- Our members were confused by the email reply option, so we disabled it.
- Reply by email is used more than reply on the community platform.
Can your members reply via email? If yes, is the functionality used and liked? Preferred?
As a community builder, I would think getting people back to the platform is useful so members can reply to the message they became aware of via the email notification, but also to encourage discovery of other conversations and activity on the platform/site.
What do you think? What are the pros and cons of reply by email?